Inserting building blocks through VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Word 2010.  I have created a building block that includes a bulleted list.  If I manually insert the building block, the formatting (bullets) inserts properly. 

I want to automate the insertion of certain building blocks.  So I create a bookmark, and apply some VBA code.  When doing this, only the text from the building block inserts, the bullets are removed.  Part of the code is listed below:

.Bookmarks("bookmarkname").Range _
        .InsertAfter ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate.BuildingBlockEntries("buildingblockname")

Any ideas as to why I am loosing the bullets and only the text is inserted?

Thanks in Advance

Ken

Kenneth Clebak
    Friday, October 1, 2010 7:23 PM

Answers

• I think you need code like this instead:

ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate _
    .BuildingBlockEntries("buildingblockname") _
    .Insert _
    Where:=ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("bm_name").Range, _
    RichText:=True

Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

"Kenneth Clebak" wrote in message news:6c37406b-1770-4fe5-a14a-d456c3669620@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am using Word 2010.  I have created a building block that includes a bulleted list.  If I manually insert the building block, the formatting (bullets) inserts properly.

I want to automate the insertion of certain building blocks.  So I create a bookmark, and apply some VBA code.  When doing this, only the text from the building block inserts, the bullets are removed.  Part of the code is listed below:

.InsertAfter ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate.BuildingBlockEntries("buildingblockname")

Thanks in Advance

Ken

Kenneth Clebak

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Monday, October 4, 2010 3:57 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 7:41 PM

All replies

• I think you need code like this instead:

ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate _
    .BuildingBlockEntries("buildingblockname") _
    .Insert _
    Where:=ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("bm_name").Range, _
    RichText:=True

Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

"Kenneth Clebak" wrote in message news:6c37406b-1770-4fe5-a14a-d456c3669620@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am using Word 2010.  I have created a building block that includes a bulleted list.  If I manually insert the building block, the formatting (bullets) inserts properly.

I want to automate the insertion of certain building blocks.  So I create a bookmark, and apply some VBA code.  When doing this, only the text from the building block inserts, the bullets are removed.  Part of the code is listed below:

Thanks in Advance

Ken

Kenneth Clebak

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Monday, October 4, 2010 3:57 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 7:41 PM
  • Stefan:

Thank you very much for the feedback, you code was exactly what I needed and it solved my problem.

Thank You

Kenneth Clebak

Kenneth Clebak
    Friday, October 8, 2010 1:06 PM
  • I’m glad I could help!

"Kenneth Clebak" wrote in message news:433baaec-3bbf-4172-a4e1-7eb8b0b92b1c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Stefan:

Thank you very much for the feedback, you code was exactly what I needed and it solved my problem.

Thank You

Kenneth Clebak

Kenneth Clebak

Friday, October 8, 2010 6:12 PM
  • What about if I want to insert a table (created as buildBlock) in the current position of my activeDocument?
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:57 AM
  • What about if I want to insert a table (created as buildBlock) in the current position of my activeDocument?

You can use Selection.Range instead of ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("bm_name").Range. Note that the code above assumes that you saved the Building Block in the template attached to the current document.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:08 PM