Different percentage progress shown when opening XML RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have an activity in my schedule, for which actual start is recorded in my custom program as say 17-Mar-2016 which happened to be a holiday per my project calendar and finished the next day which is a working day. The XML is populated with 17-Mar-2016 as it is as actual start, without being aware of what project calendar says. When I open this XML in MS Project version 2013 15.0.4569.1000 it shows the % progress as 100% which is correct. But if I open the same XML in  MS Project version 2013 15.0.4805.1000, it shows 0%.  

    Are there any significant changes happened in these minor versions? If yes, please let me know. As far as I see in MS Project  2013, I cannot plan my activities to start on holidays but I am allowed to record actuals on holidays.

    Any help in this regard is appreciated.


    Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:28 AM

All replies

  • Santhosh,

    Unfortunately some cumulative updates can introduce a problem while fixing several others. The 15.0.4805.1000 update is March 2016. I would try installing the May 2016 update (15.0.4823.1000) and see if the issue still exists.

    To answer your question, yes that is true. If you attempt to schedule a task start on a non-working day, you will receive a schedule warning message as long as you have the option set to display "Advice from planning wizard" warnings. However, if you manually enter, (or import or change through VBA), an actual date that is a non-working day, Project will accept that, and that makes sense since actuals represent reality and if a task really starts or finishes on a non-working day, then that is the date that should be accepted.

    Hope this helps.


    Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:31 PM
  • John,

    Thank you for your reply and confirming my understanding on the non-working day actuals.

    To be honest I do not have any other major issues apart from this one. Do you suggest me NOT to upgrade my Project version until it gets fixed? If this is an issue, is there a way that I can keep a tab on the fix versions/dates? Please let me know.


    Friday, June 3, 2016 3:24 AM
  • Santhosh,

    I used to not recommend that users update with the latest Cumulative Update unless they were experiencing the exact issues fixed by the update. Why? Because cumulative updates are not tested as thoroughly as service packs and there was always the possibility of unforeseen problems. However, for whatever reason, there seems to be a never ending list of issues with new releases of Project and since early 2015, cumulative updates are released monthly. That being the case, I now recommend all users update their installation with the latest cumulative update. And it is even easier now because the user does not need to separately install Project updates, they will automatically be installed by running Windows Update.

    Also be advised that not all issues that pop up will get fixed in an update. Yes, we'd all like our application software to work flawlessly but that's not the real world. If a major application performance issue is uncovered or something that is likely to impact a large number of users, then that issue will very likely get fixed in an update. But, if the issue is limited to a specific scenario and is likely to impact only a few users, or there is a viable workaround, then the issue will likely not get fixed.

    Unfortunately I do not have Project 2013 so I cannot confirm what you see directly (my testing was performed on Project 2010 which has the same file structure). I suggest you run Windows Update to get the May 2016 update or if you wait about a week, the June 2016 update should be available. If that fixes the issue, great, if not, let me know and I can make a run at reporting the issue to Microsoft.

    Project 2013 update information can be seen at:


    Friday, June 3, 2016 3:20 PM