Distribution point content flow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Can I just clarify my understanding of something please?

We have a primary site in Europe with DP role (site 001), with a secondary site in Asia with DP role (site 002), and a bunch of distribution points in Asia which are members of the Asia site (site 002) 

My understanding is that if I only want the Asia DPs to update from the Asia secondary site (which is also a DP) then I *MUST* configure the other Asian DP's to be pull distribution points from the secondary site otherwise they will get their content from the Primary Site?

Is this true, or is there some mechanism where if I were to distribute a package to ALL the DPs, then the Asia site DP (site 002) will update first and then the Asia DPs will then only update from their local site server (site 002) just because they are all in the same site 002?

If my first understanding is correct, then if I wanted to only update a DP in the Asia site (site 002) but not the actual Asia site DP itself, would the replication not occur until the content was distributed the to the upstream DP (site 002) first, or would it copy the content to both locations?

I will do some of my own tests, but wanted to discuss the solution with others on the forums.

Regards,

Michael

Thursday, July 2, 2015 9:55 AM

Answers

• My understanding is that if I only want the Asia DPs to update from the Asia secondary site (which is also a DP) then I *MUST* configure the other Asian DP's to be pull distribution points from the secondary site otherwise they will get their content from the Primary Site?

Not true. No pull DPs needed because (standard) DPs will always receive content from their site which they are assigned to. 

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:05 PM
  • DPs don't receive content first, the secondary site server does. [Normal] DPs *always* get their content pushed to them from the site server of the site they belong to. Secondary site servers always get their content from the primary site server.

"Also, I can distribute content directly to the other DPs in Site002 without a requirement for it to be on the Site002 DP."

While this is a true statement, don't equate the DP on the site server with the site server itself. They are two different entities. They share the same sccmcontentlib, but they are still two different things.

Also, don't mix up the term site server and site system. There is only one site server per site. Anything else is a site system. Sometimes these are referred to as site system servers (since they are servers), but these are not "site servers".

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:59 PM

All replies

• Well I answered my own question about pull distribution points being able to get data without content on the upstream server.

However, my second question about some kind of in-built intelligence when distributing to all DP's still stands, is ConfigMgr aware of the DPs in a site and will distribute to the site server first, and then the DPs in that site, or does content start distributing to all DPs regardless of site code?

Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:06 AM

• My understanding is that if I only want the Asia DPs to update from the Asia secondary site (which is also a DP) then I *MUST* configure the other Asian DP's to be pull distribution points from the secondary site otherwise they will get their content from the Primary Site?

Not true. No pull DPs needed because (standard) DPs will always receive content from their site which they are assigned to. 

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:05 PM
  • Thanks Torsten,

How is this defined, it is not required that a DP be on a secondary site server (it is installed by default but can be removed), so it could be that we have a secondary site server with no DP role on it, and then 5 DPs in that site. How does ConfigMgr determine which DP receives the content first, and then the other DP's somehow know that this DP has the content and then use this to replicate.

Perhaps some background to my question will help understand why I want to know. I have a MPLS 100M link between Site001 and Site002, and then point to point leased lines for regional Asia sites in Site002, so I want to make sure that content always goes to the DP on Site002 first, and then once it is distributed that DP, then other DPs in that site.

What if my secondary site server is down, does this mean that DPs in that site cannot get content?

Also, I can distribute content directly to the other DPs in Site002 without a requirement for it to be on the Site002 DP. So this contradicts your point that DPs will *always* receive content from the site they are assigned to, how can this be if it is the first time I have distributed the content and I have targeted these specific DPs? Does the 'SCCMContentLib$' always get distributed IN FULL to all secondary site servers, regardless of package distribution to DPs?

Regards,

Michael

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:27 PM
  • DPs don't receive content first, the secondary site server does. [Normal] DPs *always* get their content pushed to them from the site server of the site they belong to. Secondary site servers always get their content from the primary site server.

"Also, I can distribute content directly to the other DPs in Site002 without a requirement for it to be on the Site002 DP."

While this is a true statement, don't equate the DP on the site server with the site server itself. They are two different entities. They share the same sccmcontentlib, but they are still two different things.

Also, don't mix up the term site server and site system. There is only one site server per site. Anything else is a site system. Sometimes these are referred to as site system servers (since they are servers), but these are not "site servers".

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Thanks guys - that really cleared things up for me.

So the following statements true.

- If the secondary site server is down, content cannot be distributed to any DPs in that site.

- The 'SCCMContentLib$\DataLib' of secondary site servers will always contain the content of any package that is distributed to that site, this is where the DPs in that site will retrieve the content from.

- If a site does not have a package distributed to any of the DPs in that site, then the secondary site server 'SCCMContentLib$\DataLib' will not contain that content.

Regards,

Michael

Thursday, July 2, 2015 1:08 PM

• #1: true.
    #2: yes (it's the site server that copies the files to the DP)
    #3: yes (starting with CM12 SP1 or any CU ... whatever ... This has changed from RTM to whatever later version)

Thursday, July 2, 2015 1:48 PM