none
Lync Server 2013 "decommission" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

At my current company we are planning to do an Office 365 – Exchange 2016 hybrid deployment and we have a single Lync Server 2013 for internal communication only. There is no edge server, no public SIP DNS records and the users sign in names looks like this: username@companyname.intra. I found a few documentations for configuring hybrid Lync servers then decommissioning the on-premise servers, but I think that those documentations don’t apply here, because our Lync server is not fully functional. I have an idea about “decommission” for our server, but I don’t know if I’m right about this. So, I am planning to sync the users to O365 with AAD Connect to O365, then delete the users from the Lync server then sync again, this way the users local SIP address will be deleted from O365 and immediately assign the users the appropriate O365 license and when I finished with the last user, I simply turn off the on-prem Lync server. Is this going to be ok, or I need to do a hybrid deployment for Lync too? I know that probably this is not supported, and there is going to be a service outage.

Thank you for your answers!

Best,
    David

• Edited by woland_y2k Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:40 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

If you want to migrate users from Lync Server 2013 to SFB online, you must deploy Edge Server and then configure a hybrid environment. If you want to do this, you could refer to the following blog to find the details about Edge Server and Hybrid environment configuration: Skype for Business 2015 Edge Pool Deployment, Step-By-Step: Skype for Business 2015 Hybrid Configuration

However, if you do not need the users’ data and configurations/policies in Lync Server 2013, just want to create the accounts in online with the same address, you could sync users to O365 with AAD Connect. Please note: if you do this, it mean the SFB accounts which you assign license are the new accounts, these accounts are just like the ones you created on the O365, and all the data/policies in the Lync Server 2013 will lose. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by woland_y2k Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

If you want to migrate users from Lync Server 2013 to SFB online, you must deploy Edge Server and then configure a hybrid environment. If you want to do this, you could refer to the following blog to find the details about Edge Server and Hybrid environment configuration: Skype for Business 2015 Edge Pool Deployment, Step-By-Step: Skype for Business 2015 Hybrid Configuration

However, if you do not need the users’ data and configurations/policies in Lync Server 2013, just want to create the accounts in online with the same address, you could sync users to O365 with AAD Connect. Please note: if you do this, it mean the SFB accounts which you assign license are the new accounts, these accounts are just like the ones you created on the O365, and all the data/policies in the Lync Server 2013 will lose. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by woland_y2k Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Thank you for your help!
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:15 AM