Drilldown error RRS feed

• Question

• Team,
    I built my dashboard using the PPS dashboard designer and the bar chart shows up. However when I right click ->drilldown and specify a dimension, it errors out

An unexpected error occurred.
    Error ReportViewControlUnexpectedError

This error has been logged for the administrator.

Is there any reason why this is happening. I haven't any filters of different heirarchies or anything because I'm still in the dashboard development phase. Thanks for your help with this.

John
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:59 PM

Answers

• John,

We have seen this error before.  The problem is it can be caused by many different things.  You may be best served opening a support case and having a PPS Engineer take a look at it with you. 

Doing research some causes for the error were:

1.  An MDX query was hitting the timeout setting in the web.config file.  What needed to be done is the cube needed to be optimized due to its size
    2.  Removing the named set and background from the report and then readding it also solved the error
    3.  Incorrect MDX in a function.  The MDX needed to be corrected. 

Thanks,

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by John PPS Doe Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:01 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Have you checked the Application Event Log on the server to get more details on the PerformancePoint Monitoring error?  Another thing to take a look at would be to run a Profiler trace against SSAS to see what is going on - if it is a timeout or MDX syntax related issue that you are experiencing.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• John,

We have seen this error before.  The problem is it can be caused by many different things.  You may be best served opening a support case and having a PPS Engineer take a look at it with you. 

Doing research some causes for the error were:

1.  An MDX query was hitting the timeout setting in the web.config file.  What needed to be done is the cube needed to be optimized due to its size
    2.  Removing the named set and background from the report and then readding it also solved the error
    3.  Incorrect MDX in a function.  The MDX needed to be corrected. 

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Have you checked the Application Event Log on the server to get more details on the PerformancePoint Monitoring error?  Another thing to take a look at would be to run a Profiler trace against SSAS to see what is going on - if it is a timeout or MDX syntax related issue that you are experiencing.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:19 PM
  • I have a similar problem, however not the same. Inside DD I can drill down on all available dimensions when choosing to "browse" inside a report. However, when in preview mode I sometimes can not drill down at all (the dimension(s)) shows up but the attribute can not be chosen) and sometimes I just see e.g. 2 out of 3 attributes. I also get the error "An unknown error has occured. If the problem persists contact an administrator..." when trying to drill down on an attribute that I have placed in the background. Any ideas?
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:46 PM
  • It could be a cube issue or MDX as stated above, and running a SQL trace as Dan states would be a good place to start to diagnose the problem.  I would laso check your version of SSAS.  If you are running SQL 05 I would apply SP3.  We have seen a lot of issues fixed with SP3.

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:05 PM
  • I personnaly experienced this type of error when some of the cells diplays divide by 0 error.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:31 PM
  • I have also seen a similar issue with a division by 0 error in a distributed environment setup.  It was odd, couldn't reproduce this in a single server environment for some reason.  To resolve the issue I modified the calculation in the cube to something like the following: iif(b=0,null,a/b)

I would double check to see if that is not possibly your issue, but you should get more information if you run Profiler and view the trace information or run the query that is being generated against the SSAS database in SSMS.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:59 PM