MOSS 2007 to SP2010 Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I am doing a MOSS 2007 upgrade to SP2010. I have a repository that gets updated each night with the backups of the MOSS production server. The backup extensions of MOSS 2007 happens to be in .DAT format. I was assuming MOSS 2007 backup would be in .BAK extension. I tried to attach and restore the .DAT file to the SQL Server that houses my SP2010 by renaming the .DAT file to .BAK file and it seems to be giving me some errors. I am not sure how exactly I would need to get the .DAT files into .BAK files. I tried checking the batch file and it is using the stsadm backup command. Is the backup with .DAT file actually getting backed??Is there something that I am missing??

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:27 AM This was a SP 2010 question. Do NOT answer SP 2010 questions until they have been moved to a SP 2010 forum. (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, January 31, 2011 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi MossNovice,

restoring a stsadm backup directly to the SQL Server won't work especially not restoring a 2007 backup to 2010. To restore a backup taken with stsadm.exe -o backup use stsadm.exe -o restore.

If you want to move something to the sql server you have to backup the databases with sql server management studio and than restore them in the sql server of your 2010 farm.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 7:42 AM