Windows explorer keeps crashing, and Nvidia graphics crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Using Win 7 Pro for about 1.5 yrs.

I don't know if they are related or not, but over the last couple months I have started getting Win explorer crashes and, apparently seperately, occasional Nvidia graphics driver crashes. Nviidia quickly gets fixed and the black screen changes back  to the proper display.

Any ideas about what the hell is going on?

Thanks

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, June 3, 2012 6:37 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, you can try to perform a system restore and see how it works.

If issue persists, based on my research, please try the following:

Regarding Windows Explorer issue:

=======================

1. Please check if the issue will occur in Safe Mode.

2. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please use ShellExView to disable related extensions of Windows Explorer in Normal Mode:

1) Please download ShellExView. If you run 64-bit Windows 7, please download x64 version.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2) Extract the download file and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

3) Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

4) Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

5) Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regarding NVIDIA graphics card driver issue:

============================

1. Install the latest driver and see how it works.

2. If issue persists, it is recommended to contact NVIDIA support for help.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, June 25, 2012 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:16 AM

All replies

• Please post a copy of your dumpfile as a shared file to your Sky Drive with a link here.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

For advice on how to configure your system to create dump files please read:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

The dumpfile will be created at c:\windows\minidump. You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Type System information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. What is your BIOS version and date?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Sunday, June 3, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you can try to perform a system restore and see how it works.

If issue persists, based on my research, please try the following:

Regarding Windows Explorer issue:

=======================

1. Please check if the issue will occur in Safe Mode.

2. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please use ShellExView to disable related extensions of Windows Explorer in Normal Mode:

1) Please download ShellExView. If you run 64-bit Windows 7, please download x64 version.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2) Extract the download file and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

3) Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

4) Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

5) Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regarding NVIDIA graphics card driver issue:

============================

1. Install the latest driver and see how it works.

2. If issue persists, it is recommended to contact NVIDIA support for help.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, June 25, 2012 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Using Win 7 Pro for about 1.5 yrs.

I don't know if they are related or not, but over the last couple months I have started getting Win explorer crashes and, apparently seperately, occasional Nvidia graphics driver crashes. Nviidia quickly gets fixed and the black screen changes back  to the proper display.

Any ideas about what the hell is going on?

Thanks

Hi RJA999

I'm having the same problems as your self but mine crashes whenever i right click anything under My Computer in the windows 7 navigation pane it crashes windows explorer.exe a box pops up saying windows explorer.exe has crashed and try to fix it and then checks online for a solution finds nothing then restarts.

so ive done a fresh install of Windows 7 pro 64bit and and was fine untill i installed the Nvidia Drivers,  dont know what the nvidia drivers over right/replace but its something that windows is not happy with

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:57 AM