none
HTTP Redirect to SharePoint Site

Question

• Hi,

I have a SharePoint intranet working ok. It uses host name header xyz.mydomain

The client now wants to redirect the old intranet to the new SharePoint intranet. They say the redirect doesn´t work with DNS manipulation.

Any known problems or advice on this??

Thank you so much

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:38 AM

All replies

• In addition to the DNS manipulation you should also extend the existing web app to a new zone with the old intranet name as host header for that zone.  Otherwise the DNS will redirect to the new server, but the new server will refuse the connection because it doesn't match the host name.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:01 PM
  • Hi Paul

Thanks for your rapid response.

I was expecting the SharePoint will receive the request with the newsite host header .... I guess I can check that on IIS Logs, wright?

The DNS info is showing like in below. Does it look ok?

nslookup oldsite

Name: newsite
    Address: new site ip address
    Aliases: oldsite 

nslookup newsite

Name: newsite
    Address: newsite ip address

Thanks again,

JD

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:13 PM
  • SharePoint will receive the name that was in the original request typed into the browser.  The alias in DNS will redirect that request to the right IP address but it won't change the request in the HTTP header.  Its that request that IIS uses to match to the host name.  That's why you will need both hostnames bound to the SharePoint site.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:17 PM