Timer Jobs Not Starting RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon! I'm inheriting the role of SharePoint Administrator and I'm quite lost at this point, being new to the whole thing. Looking for some help at this point. I have two problems, and am unsure if they are related. For clarification, we are running MOSS 2007. We have two front end servers and two database servers (mirrored).

First - when looking at people and groups on the content site (say, http://sharepoint/_layouts/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=5) I am seeing user information that differs from the people and groups under the Central Administration (say: http://sharepoint:888/_layouts/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=3). For example... The Title and Department information differs. The content site is the correct information. I would think these are supposed to be the same?

Second, I have noticed a number of timer jobs (including jobs like Profile Synchronization and Quick Profile Synchronization) apparently stopped running on one of the front end servers (the one running Central Administration) some months ago. I have tried a number of techniques including the stsadm list/delete olddatabases, resetting the cache (deleting XML files and changing cache.ini to 1) but none of these has seemed to help. Not sure if this is related to

I apologize in advance for any lack of information... as mentioned I am new to Sharepoint and have a lot of information to absorb so will do my best to answer with any information required. Thanks in advance!

Dij

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:21 PM

All replies

• User information from Active Directory are pulled into sharepoint using user profile import job in SSP. These informations are stored in SSP database, then quick profile Sync or Profile Sync job copies data in content Db's from where the details are pulled and showed under user information in your sites.

If these timer jobs are not running then there will be issues with synchronisation issue. You can make sure that these jobs are enabled by going into central admin > operations > timer Job definations.

Once that is done try to restart timer service and also turn on verbose to capture details on why these are faiing on one WFE. Are all servers in your farm are on same patch level.

Here is a good article to troubleshoot profile sync issues http://blogs.technet.com/b/nishants/archive/2010/08/23/troubleshooting-user-profile-sync-issues-in-office-sharepoint-server-2007.aspx 

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Rashu,Rahul Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Diji_SP Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:35 AM
  • Thanks for your reply!

Sorry for not clarifying further. I have confirmed we have the same patch level on the two WFE servers and I have already confirmed the jobs are all set to enabled and ran through all of the steps in that article (I found that one too!). I have also confirmed the full and incremental imports are not scheduled at the same time. The timer jobs are all completing successfully on server 2 according to the timer job status page in CA, but on server 1 all but 2 jobs show as successful, but the last completions were back in May. Here is a list of the timer jobs that appear to have stopped:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Bulk workflow task processing SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/8/2011 10:10 PM
    Bulk workflow task processing SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/24/2011 10:04 PM
    Change Log SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 3:44 AM
    Change Log SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 1:16 AM
    Database Statistics SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 4:10 AM
    Database Statistics SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 3:53 AM
    Disk Quota Warning SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/8/2011 10:02 PM
    Disk Quota Warning SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/24/2011 10:16 PM
    Immediate Alerts SPSERVER1 Failed 100% 5/9/2011 5:10 AM
    Immediate Alerts SPSERVER1 Aborted 0% 5/25/2011 5:00 AM
    Profile Synchronization SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 5:00 AM
    Profile Synchronization SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 5:00 AM
    Quick Profile Synchronization SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 5:15 AM
    Quick Profile Synchronization SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 5:00 AM
    Recycle Bin SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/8/2011 10:45 PM
    Recycle Bin SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 4:54 AM
    Scheduled Approval SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 5:14 AM
    Scheduled Approval SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 5:00 AM
    Scheduled Page Review SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 12:00 AM
    Scheduled Page Review SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 12:00 AM
    Scheduled Unpublish SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 5:15 AM
    Scheduled Unpublish SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 5:00 AM
    Search and Process SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/8/2011 10:00 PM
    Search and Process SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/24/2011 10:00 PM
    Variations Propagate Page Job Definition SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 5:15 AM
    Variations Propagate Page Job Definition SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 5:00 AM
    Variations Propagate Site Job Definition SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 5:15 AM
    Variations Propagate Site Job Definition SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 5:00 AM
    Workflow Auto Cleanup SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 12:14 AM
    Workflow Auto Cleanup SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 12:02 AM
    Workflow Failover SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/9/2011 5:01 AM
    Workflow Failover SPSERVER1 Succeeded 100% 5/25/2011 4:45 AM

--------------------------------------------------

The ones that concerned me were for the Immediate Alerts which show as Failed and Aborted, with the Aborted one being at 0%. Not sure what this means exactly, but as far as the immediate alerts go, I did stumble across another article relating to outgoing mail settings and have confirmed that those settings are also correct (pointing to the correct server) in both places that were noted. Unfortunately I don't have logs that go back that far... apparently the previous person didn't keep them. I did enable verbose but it is not telling me anything useful.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:47 PM
  • From the ststus it seems that Immediate Alert is failing. Which means if users have subscribed for alerts then they will not be receiving emails. See link http://dzeee.net/sharepoint/post/2010/01/17/Alerts-not-working.aspx for troubleshooting on alerts.

However, Immediate alert timer job is different from your inital question on Profile synchronisation job.

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:01 PM
  • HI,

Based on my experience I have few observations for you.

1. Profile synchronization is an OOB job that syncs the profiles present in SSP to the sites but their is a limitation with it. It updates only the active profiles. The active profiles are categorized with the user activity. Hence if you have user profiles added in your site who have never updated,added or deleted anything in your site will be considered as inactive users and this job will not update their profiles.

2. If you go to the userinfo table in the content database you will find that their is a column "IsActiveUser" to track this.

3. You can verify this also with any 1 user profile.

4. Now to fix this I would suggest some ways worked for me in past. Add the user again in any other sharepoint group in the site with correct ID or resolved name, this will update his details. If this does not work, remove the user from site collection and add him once again.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Thanks again for your reply!

I was considering the possibility that the timer jobs on server one having stopped months ago might be the reason for why I see information different information for the same user between the live content site and the central administration site, since the last Profile/Quick Profile synch jobs have not run since then on Server 1 (where CA is running), but they are running on server 2; perhaps the information isn't updating properly due to the profile synchs not working on one of the servers. I did read that article you posted - thanks - and when I run the stsadm getproperty commands against the two problem web sites that these jobs relate to, it gives me an error "The server administration programs and the Windows SharePoint Services Web applications on this Web server are not compatible. Ensure that the administration program is the same version as the Web application." I did confirm I was running stsadm from "Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN". Interestingly enough, even though I receive this error on two of URLs, I do not receive that error on three others and actually get it to return a value (in those cases, the property set is No). The account running the Windows Timer Service is the same on both servers and has full database (sysadmin) permissions, as well as is a siteadmin in SharePoint (verified tp_SiteAdmin is 1 for that user, and tp_IsActive is also 1, tp_Deleted is 0). I also ran the queries and found there were no rows returned when doing the "select * from eventcache where eventdata is not null". running "select * from timerlock" shows one entry on each content database indicating the server name of server 2, though it shows me the LockedTime in GMT and not the timezone I am actually in.

I'm not 100% sure if users not receiving alerts means that they would not receive emails when they are added to a site collection, but I tested that with my own user ID; added myself to a site collection and I did receive an email. Stranger and stranger yet. Thanks again!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Rahul!

I confirmed that the specific users whose information is not updating have tp_IsActive set to 1, tp_Deleted is 0 so they are active users. One of them is actually our site admin (for content only, not CA or backend server operations). I did try to remove and readd one of these users and the information came back incorrectly. Here is what I see, keeping in mind the user in question is our content administrator. She is in the Farm Adminstrator's group, and also is an owner on the live content site:

When I go to our homepage of the live content site (say: http://sharepoint) and then go to Site Settings > People and Groups > Owners, the user's name is there and their title and Department are both the values that are in active directory. Now, when I go to Central Administration > Site Settings > People and Groups, the user is listed there with "Old Title" and "Old Department". These were the values previously in active directory.

I have double checked that there is no readonly values on the database (can't be since no one reports issues with adding/removing content and such) so I'm really at a loss.

I'm beginning to wonder if this might even be a database level issue. As I mentioned in my initial post, we have two database servers that are set up in a database mirroring configuration (I did confirm ALL the databases that Sharepoint is pointing to are all Principal on the specific DB server). If the previous person had done any service packs or updates to SharePoint (we are at SP2 12.0.0.6421 according to the versions of both servers) that involved certain database operations (such as ALTER) without first removing database mirroring then the database changes would have failed, but the query that updates the version table would still have worked since. Long shot maybe, but I'm pretty short on options now and I have been working on this for 2 days now. :)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:04 PM
  • HI,

Instead of checking the profile from central admin--> People and Groups use SSP--> User Profile & Properties -->View User profile.

Have you deleted the user from entire site collection or any group?

Can you confirm if the page from where you have deleted the user has this in URL _layouts/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0&FilterField1=ContentType&FilterValue1=Person 

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:30 PM
  • HI,

Instead of checking the profile from central admin--> People and Groups use SSP--> User Profile & Properties -->View User profile.

Have you deleted the user from entire site collection or any group?

Can you confirm if the page from where you have deleted the user has this in URL _layouts/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0&FilterField1=ContentType&FilterValue1=Person 

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Hi Rahul,

When I view user profile properties through the SSP, the information in there is correct (as in, what is in Active Directory) and it is also correct in People and Groups in the "Owners" for the entire site. It would appear at this point that correct information is not updating on the People and Groups page in Central Admin even after removing and readding several times. That person is a Farm Administrator, though she only works on the content side of things, and we can probably live with that since it's naturally not a page that is accessible by users. Strange discrepancy! Thanks for the suggestion. To note, on another "standard" user whose information was not displaying correctly in People and Groups of a live CWS (they are marked active and not deleted in the UserInfo table)... I tried deleting them from that CWS (the only CWS they had access to) and readding them again just now and now their informati0on is appearing correctly, whereas when I removed and readded them earlier today it was incorrect - the previous information.

Looking at things, Server 1 and Server 2 are running these same services: Excel Calculation Services, Office SharePoint Server Search, Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail, Windows SharePoint Services Web Application. Server 1 runs Windows SharePoint Services Search and Central Admin, whereas Server 2 runs Windows SharePoint Services HELP Search. Server 1 is also the WFE - it was apparently set up to use host headers (*sigh*). Perhaps the issue with the profiles is not really an issue at all anymore? Though it's still confusing as to why those jobs just stopped running on Server 1 - the WFE. I went back through things and it doesn't appear anything was done to any of the farm servers during the month they stopped.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:53 PM