none
PWA/Sharepoint Error(s) RRS feed

• Question

• We have been running Project Server 2010 for about a year - no problems.  Today we have the following issues:

1.  When we go into the PWA Project Center and click on a project name to get to project details, we get the message, "Error  An unexpected error has occurred.  Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft Sharepoint Foundation.  Correlation IE: xxxxxxxxx ...."  

2.  We cannot open Project Sites from PWA.  If we try, we get the same error as issue 1 above; however, you can access the Project Sites through shortcuts or by typing in the URL - just not through PWA.

3.  Can't access any Admin functions that have anything to do with the Project Sites, so if I click on "Project Sites" or "Project Site Provisioning Settings" under Operational Policies, I get the same error message as 1 above. 

4.  In Project Professional, if anyone tries to publish an existing project that has been published before and already has a Project Site provisioned, they get the message asking them if they want to create a Project Site as if it is being published for the first time.  If you do try to create a site, you get a message saying, "The project site cannot be provisioned for this project.  The site where the project is to be provisioned is invalid.  Please retry after correcting the site URL."  If you try to publish a new project that has no Project Site created yet, you get the same message.

Has anyone ever seen this?  Any suggestions on what has happened?

Thanks,

Dave

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hello Dave,

Try resetting IIS once.

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Further to the above, what does the corresponding correlation ID in the ULS logs show?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Alexander and Hrishi - Thanks for the responses.  Right after I posted the question, our support folks opened a ticket with Microsoft and have been working on it.  When I get an answer as to what the issue was, I'll post it.  Thanks again.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:35 PM
  • I believe Hrishi is on the right track.  Here is the detail on how we solved this issue.  I hope it helps.

When loading the page:

http://<your URL>/pwa/_layouts/pwa/Admin/ManageWSS.aspx

Every few times we would get an unhandled exception.  I also noticed that the error message about “Site does not exist, would you like to create?” although independent of the message below, also was intermittent even when pointed to one specific server. 

In order to catch what that unhandled exception was, I made the following changes to the web.config file on one of the production servers after it was taken out of service to customers:

<customErrors mode="Off" />

<SafeMode … CallStack="true"

(Reference this blog post:  http://sharepointmalaya.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-turn-off-sharepoint-custom-error.html )

What then posted in the Application event log was below.:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0

Date:          8/14/2012 9:01:33 AM

Event ID:      1309

Task Category: Web Event

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      <deleted for privacy>

Description:

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 8/14/2012 9:01:33 AM

Event time (UTC): 8/14/2012 1:01:33 PM

Event ID: 45ed926e817749f18da7c18cfcc33160

Event sequence: 88

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/933236897/ROOT-1-129894186277013075

Trust level: WSS_Minimal

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: <deleted for privacy>

Machine name: <deleted for privacy>

Process information:

Process ID: 10268

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: <deleted for privacy>

Exception information:

Exception type: EndpointNotFoundException

Exception message: Could not connect to http:// <deleted for privacy>. TCP error code 10061: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it <deleted for privacy>. 

Request information:

Request URL: <deleted for privacy>

Request path: /PWA/default.aspx

User host address: <deleted for privacy>

User: <deleted for privacy>

Is authenticated: True

Authentication Type: NTLM

Thread account name: <deleted for privacy>

Thread information:

Thread ID: 34

Thread account name: <deleted for privacy>

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace:    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Interfaces.IPWA.AdminReadSiteMapTyped()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebServiceProxy.PWA.AdminReadSiteMapTyped()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PwaSiteMapProvider.RefreshCache()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PwaSiteMapProvider.LoadSiteMapData()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJUtility.RegisterPWAClientGlobalVariables(Page page, PJContext context)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJBaseWebPartPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">1309</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>3</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-14T13:01:33.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>132861</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer><deleted for privacy></Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>3005</Data>

<Data>An unhandled exception has occurred.</Data>

<Data>8/14/2012 9:01:33 AM</Data>

<Data>8/14/2012 1:01:33 PM</Data>

<Data>45ed926e817749f18da7c18cfcc33160</Data>

<Data>88</Data>

<Data>1</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>/LM/W3SVC/933236897/ROOT-1-129894186277013075</Data>

<Data>WSS_Minimal</Data>

<Data>/</Data>

<Data>D:\meijer_web\Project_Root\</Data>

<Data><deleted for privacy></Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>10268</Data>

<Data>w3wp.exe</Data>

<Data>EndpointNotFoundException</Data>

<Data>Could not connect to http://w0982ewebs0351:32843/da5f41e46bf545808ac5d78fc907792e/PSI/PWA.svc. TCP error code 10061: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.1.175.96:32843. </Data>

<Data>http://projectserver.meijer.com/PWA/default.aspx</Data>

<Data>/PWA/default.aspx</Data>

<Data>True</Data>

<Data>NTLM</Data>

<Data>34</Data>

<Data>False</Data>

<Data>   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&amp; msgData, Int32 type)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Interfaces.IPWA.AdminReadSiteMapTyped()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebServiceProxy.PWA.AdminReadSiteMapTyped()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PwaSiteMapProvider.RefreshCache()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PwaSiteMapProvider.LoadSiteMapData()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJUtility.RegisterPWAClientGlobalVariables(Page page, PJContext context)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJBaseWebPartPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Following your request in the ULS logs also told me that your message was present after being handed to the server which I notice now was mentioned in the message above:

08/13/2012 15:45:25.71     w3wp.exe (0x0D60)                       0x3964 SharePoint Foundation                Topology                          e5mc   Medium        WcfSendRequest: RemoteAddress: 'http:// <deleted for privacy>' Channel: 'System.ServiceModel.Channels.IRequestChannel' Action: 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/project/server/webservices/PWA/ProjectRemoteTextConverterGroup' MessageId: 'urn:uuid:a59f2788-9a92-476f-8052-dfc463d69332'    86ac1550-6188-441d-90fa-5b5af71f9f1d

So, I found that the error message on <deleted for privacy> was:

08/13/2012 16:39:20.97     w3wp.exe (0x22F0)                       0x01B8 Project Server                       General                           0000   Exception     Exception occurred in method Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Admin.AdminGetAllProjectsAndWorkspaces System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703FA): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {BDEADF26-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F} failed due to the following error: 800703fa.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest..ctor()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.CreateSPRequestAndSetIdentity(SPSite site, String name, Boolean bNotGlobalAdminCode, String strUrl, Boolean bNotAddToContext, Byte[] UserToken, String userName, Boolean bIgnoreTokenTimeout, Boolean bAsAnonymous)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPRequestManager.GetContextRequest(SPRequestAuthenticationMode authenticationMode)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.get_RequestAny()     a...    c9b1aada-3edd-4cb0-85b9-b8670f6e99cf

The error above can be caused by the application pool ID losing the ability to read the registry location of the aforementioned COM+ component.  (I can’t find the blog I read that one on, so I apologize)  And that can be fixed by setting the “Load User Profile” setting on the application pool that runs MSProject to a value of “True”. 

But since that was already done, I merely reset IIS on the server in question and that brought up a new w3wp process.  The issue appears to have been resolved.
    • Proposed as answer by Tom_Herrington Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Agree. I have also seen this happen a few times accross multiple clients and suspect it's related to when the servers have recieved software updates. Sometimes they need a simple IISRESET on all farm servers to get things moving again. Definately try this first.

Regards,

Piet Remen
    http://pietremen.blogspot.com.au

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:12 AM
  • The best approach would be to take the correlation ID & check the ULS logs On APP Server that would definitely give pointers to what the root causse is, also make sure you have enabled the loggings enabled for project server, if not enable & then reproduce the error & check the latest log file & search for the coorelation ID in it

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:01 PM