none
Outlook Clients Not Connecting after Replica Failover

Question

• Hi there,

I run a private MS Network of which there is a single instance of Exchange 2013 - In its current form its working fine.    I need to add a 2nd server and use Hyper-V Replica's for failover disaster recovery and eventually cluster the two servers.

I can successfully create the replica's on the 2nd server.    I am not able to do a full failover test, so the only option i have is to physically disconnect the Ethernet cable and then start the Replica servers.

Everything seems to boot up fine..  Servers and all their services are working etc, and i can login using a Windows 10 client etc.

The problems start when i get the client to start Outlook and it fails to connect.  It keeps telling me the exchange server is not available and must be online.   If i try to manually configure outlook, i get a certificate error - "The name on the security cert is invalid or does not match the name of the site"

I've tried new certificates, deleted profiles etc, etc but cant get Outlook to connect.   It works fine using webpage OWA. 

Just to add, Skype for Business is also causing a problem.. It just hangs with connecting to the server - no error messages.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rgds

Aidan

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:47 AM

All replies

• That's not supported for a mailbox server.

You should build a second server, make it a member of the DAG, and create database replicas on it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:34 PM
  • Ok,  what about this instance..

The primary server has a full hardware failure and is totally dead.

If i then spin up the 2nd server and start the VM's then shouldnt this work?   It has no interaction with the old server.

Just to add, i get the exact same results if i load a backup of the entire 1st server onto the 2nd server (using veeam)

If its never going to work, then what is the point of my backups if they will never work on a replacement server?  

This is the bit which i am confused about?

Rgds

Aidan

• Edited by AKWIlliams Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:04 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:53 AM
  • There's absolutely no guarantee that the databases will mount unless you had dismounted them before taking the snapshot.  Since that involves downtime, it's not the right way to do it.  Further, everything since the snapshot or backup would be lost.

As to backups, the reason Exchange-aware backups work is that they are a consistent image of the database with additional logs, so when you restore everything is placed in a consistent state.

Seriously, do this the supported way and build a DAG and create database copies.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:20 PM
  • Fhanks Ed,

So, on my new host, build a new vm with Svr2012 r2, install exchange 2013 and configure DAG between the new and current is my best option?

Thats no problem if this method will work for me.

Rgds

Aidan

Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:41 PM
  • That's what I've told you twice now.  This is the third time.

Friday, May 25, 2018 6:18 AM
  • Sorry for wanting to be sure it was possible on a vm and not a physical server. All that was said was build a new server.   The reason we come here is to ask questions or offer advice, not be berrated for doing so.

Alll the same, thank you for the clarification.

Sunday, May 27, 2018 1:50 PM
  • You can certainly install any role on a virtual server.  You might want to familiarize yourself with Microsoft's support statement.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj619301(v=exchg.160).aspx

Monday, May 28, 2018 5:06 AM