none
Auto-protection failed. (ID 32511) RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my situation.  I am trying to update some mirrored SQL databases using DPM 2010.  We received an error saying that it was having a problem backing it up and I was to remove it from the protection group and re-add it.  When I try to re-add it the DB is not listed.  

I am receiving the following error on my DPM server:

Description: One or more databases could not be protected automatically because auto-protection failed. If the databases belong to a SharePoint farm, then the farm recovery points will continue to get created without these databases. (ID 32511)

The error details say:

DPM is unable to protect your mirrored SQL Server databse(s) [List of databases] until you install  protection agents on the following server(s) : [IP Address of SQL Server]. (ID: 957) 

To install protection agents on these servers, in the Management task area, on the Agents tab, click Install in the Action pane. If any of the above servers are in a cluster, you must install the protection agent on all of the physical nodes of that cluster.

The real problem here is that I already have installed the protection agent on all servers involved including the one with the IP Address listed.  

As recommended in this forum post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsqlbackup/thread/90ddb82b-6931-40a1-bbdb-d9db3700bb9d I have checked WMI on each SQL server.  Nothing seems to be missing.  I have also tried running the WMI query remotely from the DPM server and that works fine too.

If I try to run  .\AutoProtectInstances.ps1 from the DPM Management Shell I get the same error listed in the details.  I can't figure out anywhere else to look or what the problem might be.

Thanks in advance, 

Matt

Monday, October 3, 2011 1:22 PM

Answers

• To others who run into this issue and find this page: this is solved by setting up SQL mirroring using FQDNs in stead of IP's. To the DPM team: perhaps a more useful error message is in order?

Milo de Vries

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

After you have installed the DPM agnet on the SQL servers you must attach them to the DPM server. Have you done this?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, October 3, 2011 9:14 PM
  • I believe so.  I am backing up other things from these SQL servers such as system state and non-mirrored databases.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:16 PM
  • No databases show up in the list or just the one you stopped protection and is trying to add back?
    Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:17 AM
  • To others who run into this issue and find this page: this is solved by setting up SQL mirroring using FQDNs in stead of IP's. To the DPM team: perhaps a more useful error message is in order?

Milo de Vries

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:36 PM