Manually reallocate RAM addresses RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to manually reallocate the RAM usage that is listed in the Device Manager (Windows XP 32-bit)?  With a system I am working on, there is at least 500 MB of RAM addresses in four separate blocks that are not listed at all and another 256 MB that is allocated to "PCI Standard PCI to PCI bridge" that does not have a device mapped to it - it just dead ends there.  I have already tried Uninstalling that listing from the Device Manager and it just gets added back in on a reboot.  If I Disable it, no memory is freed up, the allocation is still there on the disabled listing.

What I want to do is free those blocks up for use by the System Board to increase the amount of usable RAM.  My BIOS does not have any options available for anything related to memory usage.  There is 4 GB installed and 2.75 showing as free.  If I can reclaim any of that which is seemingly not being used, it would be great.  Prefer not to use any third party applications unless absolutely necessary.

If there is not way to change this, can someone explain to me what this memory is being used for?  Especially the blocks that are not even in the list.  Not having access to 500 MB of memory that looks as though it isn't even installed seems odd.  If I add up what is listed as usable and what is allocated (including the "invisible" blocks), it equals exactly the amount I have installed.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:36 PM

All replies

• There is no capability in Windows to do this.  You might search the internet for a utility to assist you.

To find out what the memory is used for you need to find some technical references on Windows XP to explain this.  What you are asking is well beyond the scope of the average user.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:37 AM
  • There is 4 GB installed and 2.75 showing as free.

Which is fine I think. Fine as in intended system behaviour. 32-bit (Windows XP and Windows Vista, not sure about Windows 7) Windows versions while said to support 4 GB RAM - it is not really true. 

Read http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/ to know more about this. Read it completely. 

Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:46 AM
  • There is 4 GB installed and 2.75 showing as free.

Which is fine I think. Fine as in intended system behaviour. 32-bit (Windows XP and Windows Vista, not sure about Windows 7) Windows versions while said to support 4 GB RAM - it is not really true. 

Read http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/ to know more about this. Read it completely. 

I am aware of the 4 GB limit and how it works.  As far as to whether or not you think the amount of usable RAM we have available is "fine", you don't know what we are trying to do.  I am not working on a home system that is used to tool around on web or play games.  Regardless, I am now working directly with Microsoft on this issue, so case closed.
    Monday, January 14, 2013 2:36 PM