none
ask.com won't go away RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a remote user with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8 who ended up with the ask.com toolbar. This was removed but his homepage and search provider is also set to Ask and I can't change them.

I'm not the first one to look at it but I checked Manage Add-ons and the Ask toolbar wasn't listed. Next I checked Programs and Features in the Control Panel and there wasn't anything listed for Ask. I changed the homepage and search provider but, the next time IE came up it was changed back to the Ask.com settings. I tried going through the registry and deleting or changing the entries related to Ask.com but they just get re-entered. I also looked through the filesystem but didn't see anything that was obviously related to Ask.

I was able to keep it on the right home page by editing the group policies on the maching but you shouldn't have to do that. I still can't set the search provider. Every time I remove the Ask.com search provider it just puts itself back on as the default.

I know the user won't want to send the laptop in for reimaging. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks.

Chris Hansen

Friday, May 9, 2014 2:28 PM

Answers

All replies