DISM breaking Office 365 2016 installation RRS feed

• Question

• When we are creating a custum system image, we install all the needed apps, then use sysprep and DISM to create an image of a computer. However, it seems DISM is breaking Office 365 2016.

Sysprep and reboot - Office works

Sysprep and DISM, then apply the image - Office throws error

Sysprep and imagex - Office throws error

Error that I am getting:

This app can't run on your PC

To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

After doing some digging, I noticed that most of the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 are being turned to 0kb. Not sure what about imaging a computer would cause this..

Any ideas on what might be causing this? DISM is using the default exclude list. Let me know if you need more details.

• Edited by Darkstyrm Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:39 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:36 PM

Answers

• After trying this and trying that for hours - it hit me that I was using a Windows 8 WinPE disk. I created a Windows 10 WinPE disk and magically all my problems went away!
    • Marked as answer by Darkstyrm Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

I would like to you test if the issue still persists by installing the image file directly without using imagex command. 

Consider if there is any error during the process when using imagex to apply the image. 

Please post the dism.log and setupact.log on to OneDrive and share the link here for our research. 

dism.log: %windir%\Logs\DISM

Also, we need the apply.log to know the detailed things during applying the image by running imagex. 

"ImageX supports writing out to a plain text file. The log file is not created by default. If an error occurs when running ImageX, repeat the command with the /logfile option to capture event information. The format of the data is not intended for customer diagnostic usage. The log file should be sent to your local Microsoft representative for further investigation."

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, September 4, 2016 8:41 AM
  • After trying this and trying that for hours - it hit me that I was using a Windows 8 WinPE disk. I created a Windows 10 WinPE disk and magically all my problems went away!
    • Marked as answer by Darkstyrm Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:39 PM
  • I am hitting this exact problem.

I create a new Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 VM, and install Office 365 Pro Plus on it, then sysprep it just like we do all our images (we typically use the MSI version of office 2016).

I have tried both using imagex to capture as we usually do, as well as using powershell (New-WindowsImage -CapturePath C:\VHDMount -Name WinTest -ImagePath C:\CapturedWims\Win.wim -Description “Windows Clean” -Verify).

Both methods result in the "this app can't run on your pc" message with most files in the office folder being 0 kb.

I have tested it both doing a USB-based install on Surface Pro 4 hardware, as well as pushing out the image via Windows Deployment Services pxe.  Same result.  This is all with Windows 10 boot.wim/PE... No Windows 8 here.

Saturday, April 1, 2017 4:45 AM
  • Any luck solving this Wes? I'm having the same issue on Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 installing 365 Pro Plus. I follow the instructions, do a silent install, after deployment the office executables are all 0 KB...
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Interesting timing - I took a break and just last night got around to trying this again with a fresh 1607 LTSB VM and a re-download of the o365 bits (still using deferred channel).  I was able to build and sysprep the VM, split the wim, and test applying it to a new machine and it seemed to work fine.  Have a couple colleagues d/ling the image now to test further, but hopefully whatever it was has been fixed behind the scenes by MS...
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:20 PM
  • Any luck solving this Wes? I'm having the same issue on Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 installing 365 Pro Plus. I follow the instructions, do a silent install, after deployment the office executables are all 0 KB...

That sounds very similar to a problem we've been seeing with other apps, where the files are fine on the machine where we build the image, but the resulting wim contains 0 byte files. Seems to have been fixed for us by using the very latest WinPE and DISM versions from the 1703 ADK. See later posts in this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/75a9fa4e-3c5c-4cbd-a6ec-4472bcd03ada/appx-weirdness-with-sysprep-on-multiple-builds

Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:31 PM