Vista & ALi Ultra IDE Controller RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I have been using Vista for a while now on my laptop (Toshiba Portege 3500) and like it.  The problem was I ran out of hard drive space on the 40GB drive that came with the machine so I bought a Western Digital 250GB drive to replace it.  This is when the trouble began.

Long story short there's a quirk with the chipset that it doesn't like drives > 137GB and XP boots with the hard drive in PIO mode.  ALi did make a driver that basically remounts the IDE hard drive as a SCSI array and then forces the drive into the highest DMA mode possible.  It works great (and can be found here). 

Driver Details (from XP Device Manager)

alihdd.sys (appears under both IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and SCSI/RAID Host Controllers)

ALi Ultra IDE Controller Version 4.008

Now it was time to reinstall Vista (dual-boot).  The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor saw the driver and said it would work without problems (ALi Ultra IDE Controller is listed as "No Action Required").  When installing Vista from within XP it asked where the "SCSI" driver adapter was and I pointed Vista to it.  It completed the install.  Upon rebooting I get a kernel panic in crcdisk.sys

0x00000024 (0x00190445, 0x82AB8988, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I've tried everything I can think of.  I also grabbed my old hard drive (where Vista worked fine) and installed the ALi driver package from the website above.  Same kernel panic.  This brings me to the following questions:

1.  Anyone know a way around this?  I bought the big HD to make Vista happy Sad

2.  Anyone know how I can tell MS that the Upgrade Advisor might want to give a thumbs down to a driver?

3.  Anyone know how I can remove the Vista bootloader?  When I try to edit boot.ini in XP there's a comment at the top of the file that says to use a program in Vista to edit it.  Since I can't get Vista up it's a paradox.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

For the hardware's problem, you'd better contact Toshiba for help. Make sue they support the large disk. And if so, I think there should be a better driver that compatible with a large disk.

Thanks.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Toshiba technically doesn't support Vista on a Portege 3500.  They said just run the compatability wizard from MS to see if it will work.  Sad

Well, I'm giving up.  I'll go back to XP.  Can anyone answer question number 3 from above?

How to I remove the Vista boot loader from my PC so I can boot into XP by default if I can't boot into Vista period?
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

The following Kb article may help you about the boot loader problem.

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:31 AM