Custom cache path RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to deploy a packaged app to workstations but I would like the package to be in %appdata%\directory\directory rather than in the app-v cache %programdata%App-V. I followed this blog https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/gladiatormsft/2014/08/29/app-v-5-on-the-now-sometimes-immutable-package-cache-location/ and changed the PackageInstallationRoot key to %appdata%\directory\directory and tried to install the package. The package installation fails with the error:

"Failed to publish the package due to the following error: Application Virtualization Service faiiled to complete requested operation. Operation attempted: Configure AppV Package. Windows Error: 0x3 - The system cannot find the path specified

Error module: Streaming Manager. Inter error detail: 4C40302C00000003."

Thinking maybe it is complaining because the path %appdata%\directory\directory did not exist, I created the folder structure but still got the same error. I need to install this app in a specific directory because there are GPOs that configure the app from that directory. I have tried this in Windows 7 x86 and Windows 10 x64 both have the same error message.

Any idea how I can change the cache path for the app?

Friday, September 30, 2016 9:03 PM

All replies

• I don't think that is possible and this is a good idea. You would store the complete package(s) inside the User-Profile for every user that is logging on to this machine.

Could you describe what exactly you want to achieve?

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:43 PM
  • I agree with Simon... although setting the packageinstallroot requires admin rights, adding the package too. So if you set packageinstallroot to %appdata%\AppV, this will be redirected to the systemaccounts profile, which is C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\AppV.

But the same question, why?? Are your users local admin?

Roy Essers

Sunday, October 2, 2016 10:16 AM
  • The users are not local admins on the workstations. The application that is being packaged is SAP, there are instances in SAP that are updated monthly, these instances are contained in an XML file located in %appdata%\sap\common. The XML files are updated using a GPO policy, so if there is a new instance for the accounting department, the XML file for them will be updated and pushed out to everyone in accounting via GPO. Not everyone in the organization will use the AppV version of SAP, only people that have dependencies on older applications such as Excel 2010. Is there a better way of going about this?
    Monday, October 3, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Please keep default config for App-V and publish your packages to users.
    If the folder %appdata%\sap\common is included in your App-V SAP package, set this directory to MERGE with local system (in the appv sequencer). This ways, your appv pacakge will pick up files from the local system in that folder.

Roy Essers

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:22 PM
  • I will try Merge and see if that will work, thank you.
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 1:29 PM
  • If you set Merge you can also create a junction to a file share to ensure that all users get the same file (if the file required is read-only).

https://theorypc.ca/2016/03/11/appv5-sequencing-logibec-eclinibase/

https://theorypc.ca/2015/11/27/appv5-when-application-compatibility-toolkit-doesnt-work/

• Edited by TrententMVP Friday, October 21, 2016 8:53 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2016 8:51 PM