none
O365 Sharepoint new design not able to search lists?!

Question

• In the "new" sharepoint online, I cannot find the capability to search through a list.

I only have the search option when creating a Datasheet view, which actually just reverts to the classic sharepoint, where the search function always has been working. 

I checked with Sharepoint support and the developers said that the search function is missing on purpose. 

How possible reason could they have for not including it?!?! 

Now I have a list with 300 rows and scrolling through a list on sharepiont online is also painfull as you ahve to wait for it to load the next 20 rows and takes forever. 

Has anyone figured out how to be able to search a sharepoint list using the new Sharepoint design? 

Thursday, September 8, 2016 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hi CHendrich,

The search function is missing in the new design list in SharePoint online. It is by design.

If you do not like the new design for the list, you could switch to the classic design. In classic design, there is the search function in the list. Open the list->click the gear in the top right corner and select the list settings->advanced settings->list experience.

If you want to switch to classic design in the tenant-level, you could go to O365 center admin->SharePoint->settings->SharePoint lists and libraries experience.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

New design for document libraries in SharePoint Online.

http://www.michev.info/Blog/Post/142/New-design-for-document-libraries-in-SharePoint-Online

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 9, 2016 9:29 AM
  • What is the thinking behind removing the search function by design? 

Are people not searching their lists anymore?

What about when the classic sharepoint gets discontinued?

Do I then have lists with hundreds of rows that I am unable to search through?

Search is not the only thing missing.

If I want to filter a list now, it only lets me select one value!

Example: try filtering a list of computers by computers only using Windows 7 and 10, but not computers with windows 8 or 8.1.

So here is my question again:

Is it really missing "by design", or is that something that got forgotten about and now the dev team has a hard time implementing, or just something that will get added later on, kind of like you have some things working in the old Azure portal and some things that work in the new Azure portal?

Thank you,

Chris

• Edited by CHendrich Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:16 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:14 PM
  • Hi CHendrich,

I understand the missing search in new design in the list brings you the inconvenience.

There is no news about the in place search in the new design. And I will keep an eye for it.

If you still need the search, you could change to the classic design. And the classic design will be supported 2017 at least.

In new design, if want to perform complex filter, you could modify the view or create new view. Click gear in the top right corner->click list settings->views.

More reference:

Modern document libraries in SharePoint.

https://blogs.office.com/2016/06/07/modern-document-libraries-in-sharepoint/

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 16, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Hi CHendrich,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, September 26, 2016 1:15 AM