none
2 problems with new deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to deploy new computer model (HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF) on my MDT2013.

As usually, created Out of Box driver structure. Had an issue with Network Driver in WinPE. Found necessary net driver (for 8.1).

Manually loaded it and continued deployment.

Problem:

1. In Injecting Drivers phase no drivers were injected. I decided to double check model name when deployment finished.

It looks fine.

2. I injected net driver that run well when manually loaded into WinPe and updated Deployment Share. The driver was injected.

I run again F12 and get the same problems.

Network Driver fails when loading WINPE. When loaded manually and continued Drivers for OS were not injected.

See plz pic... What could be wrong?

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, May 9, 2016 7:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your pictures are too small to read.
    Monday, May 9, 2016 9:55 PM
  • It was full screen pic. The minimizing happens on forum's page when insert.

Do Shift Scroll UP for zoom for reference.

I cannot explain why it minimizes...

Just uploaded the image to ONEDRIVE:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=65464E5654C5C6FE!142&authkey=!AL5CbtUn3HNEN5c&v=3&ithint=photo%2cPNG

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:07 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 11:52 PM
  • Seems other people are complaining about this model in google, maybe this will help you - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Cant-find-the-network-driver-that-MDT-needs-for-Prodesk/td-p/5460686
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

update the correct driverversion from the upper link!

Recreate the bootimage (PE) and replace them on WDS

Gruß Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft, markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

• Proposed as answer by tonibert Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:47 PM
    • Edited by tonibert Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:33 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:03 AM
  • 1. boot image problem solved... my bad...

as mentioned the driver I found was the right one. What I forgot  :) (after long Transatlantic cruising): replacing WinPe image on WDS.

2. The problem I still have:

the drivers are not injecting during Injecting Drivers phase, like there is no Out of Box structure or the model name of the Folder is not right.

I double checked. The folder name is exact as the model name appears in MSINFO32. The folder is enabled.

The drivers are in the subfolders.

I did try to deploy another model just to be sure that during injection phase I can see injected drivers names.

And it works fine.

What else could be the problem?

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:29 PM
  • >>The drivers are in the subfolders<<

Try without the Subfolders!?

Gruß Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft, markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

• Edited by tonibert Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:51 PM
  • I have about twenty models in Out of box and always use the folder structure:

model_name

¦

Audio

¦

Chipset

etc

Don't think that there is something wrong with this. But for test will try your suggestion. Never had a problem at this step...

See again what I mean by folder structure. HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF is expanded...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=65464E5654C5C6FE!142&authkey=!AL5CbtUn3HNEN5c&v=3&ithint=photo%2cPNG

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:17 PM
  • injected one driver right into the model name folder (without subfolder).

the same problem driver is not injected. Goes straight to Operating System Deployment.

For me it looks like the folder name (MODEL NAME) is not right.

Any suggestion how to deal with the issue?

Problematic computer model is HP ProDesk 600 G2. The name appears on computer sticker and in MSINFO32.

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:53 PM
  • troubleshooting:

try a normal install from disc.

inject your drivers..

it work? 

• Edited by tonibert Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:34 PM
  • sorry didn't get it...

> try a normal install from disc.

from what disk?

> inject your drivers..

how? what do you mean by inject?

The machine is deployed without drivers injected Do you mean to install drivers for verification.

Please elaborate... I just don't know how I can manually test driver injection.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:46 PM
  • sorry...

Install your OS from DVD .After you install your driver for HP Pro Desk 600G2.

Everything is fine?Your drivers are ok!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:01 PM
  • My problem is not related to drivers functionality but to driver Injection phase during deployment.

Regardless of drivers compatibility it should be injected properly I guess...

The drivers I injected to OUT of Box are from HP Driver Pack for particular HP model.

In what log we can see what happens at Injecting drivers phase?

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:45 PM
  • I hope it helps

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:19 PM
  • I have run into something like this with HP once before.  it turned out HP had added an extra space in the Model name.  The only way I found it (out of desperation) was I created a vbscript to get the model name and count out the characters and display the individual characters.  I am not saying that is what is happening here, but since driver injection is working fine for the other models, it is a possibility.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:54 PM
  • It is exactly what I am thinking.

Somehow the model name reeded by MSINFO32 is not a actual one.

Do you remember by chance where was the space?

I have to get a batch of those and need to make it work urgent.

People please help :)

Does Microsoft provides support for MDT? I will open the case...

I can try to contact HP.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:22 AM
  • Here is the simple vbscript I used to count the number of characters in the model name:

On Error Resume Next

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
    Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

strComputer = "."
    set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'// Specify the environment type ( System, User, Volatile, or Process )
    set oEnv=WshShell.Environment("System")

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

' Get system model and count # of characters

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem", "WQL", _
                                              wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)
    For Each objItem In colItems

compmodel = objitem.model

Next

modellen = Len(compmodel)
    wscript.echo CompModel & " " & modellen

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:44 PM
  • I just deployed another HP model that behaves the same way as in my initial question - not injecting drivers.

It is HP EliteBook 840 G3

in MDT I have

HP EliteBook 840 G2 that run fine. Looks like HP did something that screws up MDT's driver group approach related to naming.

I will try the script right now.

THANKS for help!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:07 PM
  • good news -the script showed the name

"HP EliteBook 840 G3 19" instead of original MSINFO32 - "HP EliteBook 840 G3"

bad news that I still didn't see injected drivers name after adding 19 to the name in Out of box.

I will try again ...

Other tip?

THANKS.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:58 PM
  • The 19 is the number of characters in the model name, not part of the model name.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:14 PM
  • OK. sorry...

HP EliteBook 840 G3

has 19 characters.

19 from the script shows how many characters should be in the name?

So what is the trick here? Do you have the answer? :)

Thx.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:25 PM
  • Use whatever gather says it is.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Ty,

where I will find what gather says (sorry don't understand what you mean).

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:18 PM
  • BDD.log will show what is gathered.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:53 PM
  • Really busy for checking log. Will not be able to do this until Monday.

Because of the rush - 50 machines should be deployed in 2 days, I captured physical machine deployed from base image. As mentioned drivers were not injected, so just installed drivers and captured the machine.

For my surprise when deploying this captured image during Injecting Drivers phase, drivers download showed up.

What the heck? I then deployed one more from base image and Drivers were not injecting. I am out of mind...

But Monday I will compare two BDDs. What could be the relation between deploying the image without drivers when drivers are not injecting and one with the drivers to which drivers are injecting. Driver injection occurs before OS deployment phase.

May be this will give a tip to somebody before I will be able to pull the logs...

Thx.

• Edited by pob579 Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:11 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:24 PM
  • Friday, May 13, 2016 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

"Because of the rush - 50 machines should be deployed in 2 days"

1.Install your OS from DVD .

2.Install your driver for HP Pro Desk 600G2.

Everything is fine?

Your drivers are ok!

Use these Drivers for deployment!

Import these Drivers in your winpe.iso

>>Recreate the bootimage (PE) and replace them on WDS<<

or

1.Install your OS from DVD .

2.Install your driver for HP Pro Desk 600G2 ( + Applications)

3.Sysprep this Image.

4.Capture it.

5.Deploy it.

Friday, May 13, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Toni sorry you are losing the point of my problem...

My base image (clean as a virgin made from VM). It serves perfectly 20 + models with Driver group configured using Out of Box Folders named by model and containing drivers for each model.

The problem came up with 2 new models of HP that not react properly to Out of Box naming. I solved the problem for one of the model capturing it with installed drivers. The weird thing that when deploying the image that does include drivers the Drivers are injecting based on Out of box folder.

As Ty recommends I will check BDD Monday.

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:43 PM
  • Frankly your logs should be the first thing you look at when you have trouble.

Friday, May 13, 2016 8:16 PM
  • injected one driver right into the model name folder (without subfolder).

the same problem driver is not injected. Goes straight to Operating System Deployment.

For me it looks like the folder name (MODEL NAME) is not right.

Any suggestion how to deal with the issue?

Problematic computer model is HP ProDesk 600 G2. The name appears on computer sticker and in MSINFO32.

Do you have any logic on that step in your task sequence (e.g. only for some models) that will ignore your driver injection?
    Friday, May 13, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Ok Pob,

sorry!

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:38 PM
  • > Do you have any logic on that step in your task sequence (e.g. only for some models) that will ignore your driver injection?

Cannot check now... but don't think ...

The weird thing that drviers for the model in question are injected when drivers were installed in captured image.

There is something else... Will check Monday.

Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:35 AM
  • I started a new thread with clear description and 2 bdds uploaded.

This one becomes long and contain all intermittent stuff...

Please see:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/73affc48-5d68-4dd8-94a0-d13049d56d40/drivers-not-injected-for-a-new-model?forum=mdt

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:08 PM