KVM switch + Windows 7 creates monitor switching nightmare RRS feed

• Question

• I used to use XP exclusively and I would use a KVM w/ dual monitors to switch between a dual desktop and single desktop.  Worked fine until I upgraded one box to Windows 7.  Now when I switch from my new dual monitor setup (via kvm) to my old xp single monitor box, Windows does 1 of 2 random things:  throws my desktop to my 2nd monitor or resizes my second monitor w/o throwing my desktop over to it.  The worst part of this problem is that when it randomly throws my desktop to my 2nd monitor and I switch back to my dual monitor box...  It LEAVES my desktop on the 2nd monitor and the first monitor is blank.  I have to go through the windows menus and re-detect all monitors to get my 1st monitor back.  Not only that but because of all this monitor switching, all my apps have to be moved back to where they were originally.  This is making work via KVM switch nearly impossible.  I've upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers which are dated in mid-July.

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

This is what I'd prefer: Just leave my 2nd monitor alone... don't throw my desktop to it, don't resize it, don't move any application windows I have open in it...  Just leave it be like it used to function in XP.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:03 PM

All replies

• I have this same problem - when the KVM switches a monitor from the Windows 7 machine, Win7 reorganizes the desktop as if the monitor is no longer connected (which, technically, is correct).  The problem is that it doesn't put it back the way it was when the monitor is connected again.

I can see where this would be handy if you disconnect a monitor, and are still using the computer on the remaining monitors, but as mdorais said, it makes the KVM a nightmare.  It would be great if this "feature" could be turned off.

Friday, August 21, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Bump.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Bump.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Me too! I have this same problem - when the KVM switches a monitor from the Windows 7 machine, Win7 reorganizes the desktop as if the monitor is no longer connected (which, technically, is correct).  The problem is that it doesn't put it back the way it was when the monitor is connected again.

I fix mine.

Just go into the display\screen resolution (and with the KVM on another port- so you only have the one screen in blue) select the monitor number two and then change Multiple displays: to Extend theses displays. Then your screen will automatically come back with the KVM switch. 
    • Proposed as answer by yofa Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by mdorais Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by NetBob Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Try to be more descriptive on your issue.  It's a lot easier to figureout what is really going on rather than assuming what you mean.  

I have been using a KVM switch between XP and Windows 7 without any trouble. I notice that if I use my XP machine (a host machine to run Linux and Windows 2003 server virtual machines) to hone my elite IT skills (I can dream right). Swtiching to my 7 machine over my KVM switch. It changes to a zoomed in view with only partial of the desktop is visible.  Refresh Monitor fixes the minor issue.  I know that Vista and 7 have the ability to adjust the desktop to match the screen size on LCD monitors.  XP just streches it.  This ajusting is a part of aero. To solve the issue. Disable Aero.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:30 AM
  • >Just go into the display\screen resolution (and with the KVM on another port- so you only have the one screen in blue) select the monitor number two and then change Multiple displays: to Extend theses displays. Then your screen will automatically come back with the KVM switch.

When I do that the 1st monitor is labeled as "KVM Monitor" and the second monitor is labeled as it's real model.  The desktop is already extended at this point so this doesn't work.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:13 PM
  • > Try to be more descriptive on your issue.  It's a lot easier to figureout what is really going on rather than assuming what you mean.  

I'm not sure what's not descriptive enough about what I wrote.  I switch from Win 7 (2 monitors) to XP (1 monitor) via KVM.  When I switch back to Win 7 (2 monitors) sometimes Win 7 will throw my desktop to the 2nd monitor (1st monitor goes blank) and opening up display settings only shows the 2nd monitor as existing.  It's as if the 1st monitor is now unplugged which it isn't.  At this point I have to go into display settings, click Detect, and then it re-detects my 1st monitor and "extends" my desktop back out over 2 monitors.  All windows have now been thrown to my 1st monitor and i have to rearrange all my work back across 2 monitors.  This is why KVM switching in Win 7 makes my work life a living nightmare.  This isn't all of it either...

When everything gets thrown to my first monitor, it takes any windows that were maximized and resizes them to about 1/4 my screen size.  Due to compatitbility issues between Win 7 and SQL Server Management Studio, Management Studio has a redraw bug that doesn't "resize" the query window correctly.  So even though I maximize the app, when I start typing in the query window my text disappears about 1/4 the way across the whole window.  The only way to fix this is to save all my work, close the app, and then reopen the app with all my work.  So basically everytime I switch computers there's about a 1/5 chance I have rinse and repeat everything I just typed above.  Fun times.  Sure wish I could post screenshots in these forums.  Would sure make it easier to describe what happens.

Everything I've typed above happens regardless of whether Aero is enabled or disabled.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:48 PM
  • I have the same problem.

I have a HDMI switch connected to my primary display to switch between Windows 7 and my PS3.

Everytime I switch in Windows 7, it would throw everything on to my secondary monitor, causing some games running on the computer to crash due to the auto-detection.

I have never had this problem with Vista Business.

=(
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Please keep this thread going. I too have the same issue. Two machines using Windows 7, KVM D-Link KVM-221.

I unplug the monitor cable from my pc, then turn my laptop on which see my monitor just fine. Then, after the laptop is in logged in, I disconnect the video cable from the docking station and reconnect the PC and turn that on, then I get the right resolution on the PC. After all that is done, I plug the docking station back in and I stay at the same resolution for both.

Seems to have worked ok so far but the worst work around ever.

I did notice that this is only a problem with two machines using Windows 7. I only recently upgrade my Laptop and prior to, I did not have this issue.

I'm going to ghost my laptop and reimage back to Vista to confirm.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:55 PM
  • You know - I reported this problem in the beta stage of Win7 - and was told that it had to be something with the drivers - or the fact that I had a 'Cheap' KVM.

I'm glad to see that it's not just me and my $250 'Cheap' 8 port KVM switch.  I have this problem on any machine (with different Video Cards) where I install Windows 7.

It's even worse on my Primary Workstation with a NVidia GEForce 7900 GS.  I couldn't install Windows 7 on this machine if it was connected through the KVM.  As soon as it get's to the Windows Environment - the screen goes blank and never shows up.  I have to unplug the video from the KVM - plug it directly into the monitor - setup the system - and then install the Last Pre-Windows 7 Vista driver before I can switch back to my KVM.  That's just ridiculous...

Other notable side-affects:

Every time I install a program - my Icon's re-sort back to auto-arrange (and no - it's not set to auto-arrange)

If I'm on another system - I will periodically hear the 'Device Detached' or 'Device attached' sound.  Most times that's all that will happen - but occasionally it will lower my resolution from 1920x1200 to 1600x1200

If I reboot the system while on another system - it defaults to the 1600x1200 resolution.

Obviously they don't appear to use KVM's in the development groups...

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

Joseph W. Leathlean
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:23 PM
  • I too am experiencing this, but I've no KVM. My PC froze today. I rebooted to a black screen. I can ctl-alt-del and get the standard menu. Only after fighting with it did I realize that I'm now looking at monitor '2' and that's why it's black. I only have 1 monitor. I've gone into safe mode and done everything short of deleting the driver (which I will do now) This has nothing to do with kvm. I do switch my tv between xbox360 and win7 - both are plugged in HDMI. This is a huge problem. I never experienced anything like this on vista. my x600 radeon doesn't have win7 drivers, they won't be making them either...

Edit: my problem is a much deeper rabit hole that I first thought. I have started my own request/thread. I've tried everything I have found on the web related to windows 7 blank/black screen to no avail. I believe a clean install is in my future...
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Joseph,

I got frustrated too for some time with this, it's totally irritating.

I have an ATI 4850 video card which was reporting the monitor as KVM monitor with max rez of 1024x768.

I uninstalled the ATI driver and bingo it right away switched back to 1920x1200 and could see the monitor as my Acer G24.

It seems like the graphics card driver is overriding the detection of the monitor and dictating what the resolution is.

Amit

Update:

It was not the driver, it was me switching to PC #2 when PC #1 was booting, hence PC #1 could not find the right monitor configuration.

If I switch to the correct PC while booting up, the resolution is fine.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:02 AM
  • I still haven't found a solution to this problem so I've posted in the Microsoft Answers forum...

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/84f41660-1933-4109-9b13-1ea8a1c27be7
    • Proposed as answer by Nightowl128 Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:19 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:27 PM
  • I have the same problem and was able to correct it.  Let me try to expalin how I did it.

I have three monitors with the center monitor connected to the KVM and the other monitors on either side connected to a different computer. 

Monitor 1 connected to computer 1 --- Monitor 2 connected to computer 1 and 2 via KVM --- Monitor 2 connected to computer 2

When I switch between computer 1 and 2, windows 7 sets monitor 2 as the primary display.  I set the KVM on computer 1 and with a different mouse attached to computer 2, I opened the display properties and it showed monitor 2 as my primary display.  I check monitor 1 as the primary display now monitor 2 remains as the extended display even when I switch between computers via the KVM.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know (zamboni128@gmail.com)
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:26 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue but when I switch back to w7 my resolution is very low, and the detected monitor is called 'kvm'.  I'll click 'identify' in the resolution properties and all is back to normal.    I recently upgraded from vista to 7.  This problem did not occur when I had vista and I'm using the exact same hardware.  What I need to find out it is if there is a way for w7 to NOT auto-detect when switching... but I'm sure that would cause other problems...
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:48 PM
  • I would suggest everyone who has this problem to go over to http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/84f41660-1933-4109-9b13-1ea8a1c27be7 and post there as well.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:38 PM
  • My initial setup:

IOGEAR DVI 4 port KVM
    port 1 - NVIDIA 8800 GTS Win7 beta
    port 2 - NVIDIA 8400 GS Vista Ultimate
    port 4 - ATI 9550 XP Pro
    port 3 - unused

Until win7 beta was installed on system using port 1 there had never been any problem . After win7 beta (64bit) whenever i switched away from port 1, upon return the resolution had reverted to 1024x768 while i was away. Most of the time the return to port 1 would return the resolution to my normal 1920x1200, but window sizes and positions had changed to accomodate the lower resolution, while i was away. On a few occasions the resolution on port 1 would remain 'stuck' on the 1024x768 and not revert until i clicked the Detect button on the change resolution window. Using the send feedback link on  the beta windows i reported this issue. It did not matter where i went away to either the XP, Vista or even the unused port, the window size and position always happened. Also to make things clearer, there were NO issues at all on the other ports' resolution, window size, position etc.

Along came the Beta RC, i installed the 32bit RC by mistake. Upon install the problem no longer existed. I was a happy camper. About a week later i discovered i had installed the 32bit RC and thought this issue was related to that. Then another week later a new video driver came in a windows update, after install of this driver the problem returned. This problem is so annoying, i did a system restore from prior to the update, the problem was gone again. Now it seemed to have no relation to whether 64bit or 32bit, but i was still happy with an RC that was working. 

Now we arrive at October 22, and the release of Windows 7, and My current Setup:

IOGEAR DVI 4 port KVM
    port 1 - NVIDIA 8800 GTS Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
    port 2 - NVIDIA 8400 GS Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
    port 4 - ATI 9550 Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit)
    port 3 - Dell 1525 Laptop Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit)

The situation now that windows 7 is on all systems has changed.  The results are confusing to me and do nothing towards resolution of this issue, but i will describe them.

port 1 This system is the one i use most and for whatever reason it has no issue.  It is unexplainable but i am happy with it. 

port 2 EVERY switch away reverts resolution to 1024x768 and return will either revert to 1920x1200 with window sizes and positions changed, or on occasion actually be 'stuck' in the lower resolution and require a click on the Detect button to revert to normal resolution.

port 3 since this is a laptop it is set to only use monitor 2, with monitor 1 being the laptop display.  When switched away, the laptop display comes on which has max resolution of 1280x800. Upon return to port 3 resolution is normal 1920x1200 and window positions etc will have changed from where they had been as a result of the resolution change. This means that even though i told windows 7 to display only on monitor 2, It decides in its infinite wisdom that my monitor is suddenly gone but OH! hey here is another monitor, lets switch to it. It does this without my approval and in fact contrary to my setting.  Settings that do not do what they are supposed to do, are not settings!

port 4 I rarely switch to this system but when i do it has always been correct resolution etc.  However after running a day or so I switch to it and find a blank screen, the monitor goes into sleep mode and i cannot awaken it.  The system is running properly but sans video.  I have not probed into this issue yet and it may be totally unrelated.

I cannot explain the fact that port 1 works, as much as i cannot explain why port 2, NEVER works. (and yes i have switched the system on port 2 to port 3 with the SAME results. I refuse to mess with port 1 since it for some unknown reason is working. Based on what happens on port 3, it seems to me the problem is a result of windows 7, doing what it thinks best, not what the user has told it to do. This is unacceptable to me.  Why give me an option called "show desktop only on 2" if what it really means is "show desktop on 2 unless 2 goes away then either find another monitor or just revert to some lower resolution because my main monitor is gone".

Personally i can find no rational reason this NEEDS to function like this, But given that someone with more knowledge than i seems to think that it does, there should be a setting that will allow a user to turn this function OFF.  Just my two cents worth.  I will be monitoring for any forthcoming hacks or fixes for this very irritating issue.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Sephrond: I have a very similar experience. My system is:

ATEN CS-62DU (DVI) KVM
    connector 1: NVIDIA ION Win7 64bit (195.62 NVidia drivers)
    connector 2: NVIDIA 280 Win7 64bit (195.62 NVidia drivers)

Exactly as you described, for some inexplicable reason one of the systems works flawlessly (namely ION) while the other one (280) displays the behavior you described (reverting to 1024 resolution, window resize, stuck at low res. Sometimes it even stops displaying Aero and claims that video drivers need to be updated). The only difference in configuration (apart from obvious hardware differences) is that 280 system has got it's monitor driver updated via Windows update while the ION still runs on Generic PnP Monitor with Windows Update being optional and on hold. I refuse to tamper with it at the moment, but I will try to revert to generic display on 280 system and see if it maybe solves the issue.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:34 PM
  • I gave up on KVM's a while back.  I use ultravnc to run the 2nd and 3rd machines 'headless".  That way I can pretty much do anything I need to without worrying about distortions.  AND I can do it from anywhere.

HOWEVER -
    This is indeed a serious bug that Microsoft should be kept aware of!
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Add my frustration to this issue.  It's much more though than just using a KVM.  My situation is that I have a HDTV connected to the HDMI port and a vga monitor connected to the vga port.

When I was running XP, I could turn the tv off (or change inputs) and everything would be fine.  With this setup, when I turn the tv off, windows changes my displays and I need to manually detect the tv when I turn it back on. 

Microsoft wants to bur the lines between tv and computer but they can't deal with having a tv attached.  There should be a simple fix for this...put a simple checkbox on the display screen that disables auto-detect for a specific display. 

I looked up the external device that was mentioned earlier...but for hdmi it's $120.  Just fix the problem!

I'm using a shuttle system with n Nvidia 8200 motherboard.
    • Proposed as answer by MeiJiZaa Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:05 PM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 9:49 PM
  • add me to the list of not so happy Windows 7 owners...
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:00 AM
  • add me to the list of not so happy Windows 7 owners...
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:00 AM
  • This still has not been fixed?!?!?   Shameful!!
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:24 PM
  • I noticed that microsoft's solution for this is for us to buy new hardware - because its entirely the end users fault for what hardware they own.

Us users should have anticipated this and bought the kvm switches (that did not yet exist) that would have been compatible with windows 7. See it's our fault.

Im very thankful that microsoft has identified the problem as "us".

My only question is, where is the link to get the credit / voucher for the KVM switch upgrade to be redeemed by microsoft? I mean... do they really expect us to go out and pay for one, often for more than the price of the OS itself, just to run the new OS? Really??? that would have to rate up there within the most utterly pathetic examples of a product "upgrade" in the history of humanity. Good job microsoft!!!!

Well, I suppose Bill Gates is too busy trying to reduce the population using vaccines anyway...

Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Same problem here.  It's unbelievable that this has not been addressed yet.  

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I have a similar problem. I am migrating from an old thinkpad (XP) to a new thinkpad edge with 64 bit Windows 7 professional. I ahve a 22" external monitor and larger external keyboard which I prefer to use when I'm at home. I also have a Dell Precision (XP) laptop for work. So I run all these through a KVM.

With the XP systems, I can close the laptop displays so that the external monitor is the only display. The thinkpad and the Dell have different output resolutions (due to limitations on the older thinkpad's video card). I can switch displays between them all day long and I always immediately see the configured display resolution of the selected machine.

With the Windows 7 based laptop, the behavior depends on whether the laptop screen is opened or closed.

If the laptop screen is open (but not displaying anything since I'm not using extended desktop), when I switch the KVM to one of the other computers the Windows 7 display output automatically switches to the laptop screen. When I switch the KVM back to the windows 7 laptop, its display switches back to the external monitor. At least in this scenario it remembers the correct resolution for the external monitor (which is higher than the max resolution of the laptop's screen). However, if I'm running XP mode virtual machine, the VM does some kind of reset/refresh of the "integration features" that causes the mapping to the real hard drive to temporarily be lost -- a real problem if I'm doing something in the XP VM which is writing to that drive!

However, just discovered that if the screen times out and goes to sleep while I'm viewing another computer, then the display resolution is NOT correctly restored when I return back to this one.

If the laptop screen is closed (how I really want to run when I'm home), when I switch away from the windows 7 machine and then switch back, it changes the resolution to 1024 x 768. I have to open resolution and then click Detect to get it to go back to the real resolution.

Video chipset on the new machine is ATI. So if this truly is a video driver issue, then the issue exists for multiple vendors' drivers (since earlier posters mentioned nvidia chipsets).

KVM is Tripp-Lite B022-004-R (a 4-port KVM). Never had a problem with it before.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:07 PM
  • lets summarise this:

XP works perfectly.

Windows 7 causes an issue.

Microsoft's answer to our issue is that is "user error, buy new hardware"

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm from the wrong realtiy, but there seems to be some sort of imbalance here.

Can anyone please sugges some sort of alternative from the windows based operating system? This type of customer service is enough to make anyone (i think) want to find some sort of alternative.

Thanx for your answers... we are all getting desparate here. This sort of thing happens i guess with an absolute monopoly.

Take care people.

JK

• Proposed as answer by gt_jax Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:20 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Sorry about the above "Answer" I puched the wrong button.

The KVM problem on switching back to a Win 7 computer causing monitor display caos where only the newly attached monitor is active appears to be a driver problem.....

My configuration.

Gateway computer (Upgraded from Vista x32 to Win 7 x32) with a

NVidia 8500GT card running 181.22 drivers.  (Win 7 said they were the latest.).   

The card is connected to 2 FP monitors via VGA cables. 

Each monitor is set to 1920 X 1200 resolution.  The primary display is direct connect to the computer and the sencondary is connected via KVM switch.

KVM - IOGear Model GCS42UW6

THe problem manifested itself when I switched away from the Win 7 computer then back.  At that time, the primary display would go black and the secondary (just reconnected) display would become the primary.  The manual fix was to open the "Screen Resolution" and detect.

I went to NVidia's site and found the most current drivers to be 260.99.  I downloaded and installed them. 

Now, when I switch back, both screens go blank for a second or so then both come back configured as they should be.   Unfortunately all open windows have then been moved to the primary display.  rrrrrrrrrr If I had wanted them all on that monitor, I'd put them there in the first place.  Its an obvious case of some computer nerds trying to be too helpful without understanding the entire range of usaga.

Since the windows only move to the primary display when the KVM switches control back to the Win 7 computer.  It appears that is action is being taken so the user can see everything active on the computer.  If that is truly the reason, then you would also expect this to be done when the secondary monitor is switched away from the Win 7 computer - NOT when its switched back.

Bottom line is that this is a poor implementation of a poor UI design with little understanding of how post people use dynamic monitor connections. 

My experience with MS products going bact to the '80 has been that it is best to NOT upgrade to any new version for at least a year to allow time for the bugs to be ironed out.  This is the first time that method has let me down. 

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:57 AM
  • I tested both UR-14+ (for the VGA systems) and  UD-14+ (for the DVI systems)  from ConnectPRO / June-On.  The newest hardware of theml had just released.  Both works smoothly with Windows 7, Vista and XP systems  with both NVidia and ATI display cards of my systems.

However, make sure you get their newest hardware release version (the release named K5) which double the support of USB end-point devices - that means more USB devices can be covered via their USB DDM (Dynamic Device Mapping) patents.  I had installed the newest version to my customers recently, all the 5 customers ( 5 out of 5) had reported good and highly recommended the newest hardware version.   I'm going to stock them more to meet my customers' needs.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:23 AM
  • While this isn't a final solution, there is a windows shortcut that I have found helps with this.  By pressing Win+P, you can cycle through the different display styles.  For me, this adds two keystrokes (technically 3) to my process of switching, but it works for now while we wait for M$ to fix this problem.  I think it has been made clear that this isn't user error, but rather a PEBCAK error somewhere in Redmond WA.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Now if only microsoft were in the Medical industry... whould this be the equivalent of stabbing somebody and then charging the victim a fee to have the knife removed?
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:25 AM
  • There IS a fix for this now, but it involves removing pin 12 from your VGA cable (recommended to use an extension cable in case you muck it up). It's quick and easy, and actually works! for more info, see the answer here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/8a9b5aa7-fe33-4e6d-b39b-8ac80a21fdc2

Scroll to the bottom and see the posting from "packagesoft" dated 3/5/11 for step-by-step details!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:21 PM
  • That fixed it for me. Thanks!
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:40 PM
  • That worked!  Perfect now.  Thanks.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:29 AM
  • It Works! Using Win7, and just upgraded my video card and had the monitor blanking problem. It appears my old video card did not have the issue. Spent several hours messing with the cables, cards, etc. Pulled out pin 12, rebooted, works fine now! Thanks!

Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:02 AM
  • I used to use XP exclusively and I would use a KVM w/ dual monitors to switch between a dual desktop and single desktop.  Worked fine until I upgraded one box to Windows 7.  Now when I switch from my new dual monitor setup (via kvm) to my old xp single monitor box, Windows does 1 of 2 random things:  throws my desktop to my 2nd monitor or resizes my second monitor w/o throwing my desktop over to it.  The worst part of this problem is that when it randomly throws my desktop to my 2nd monitor and I switch back to my dual monitor box...  It LEAVES my desktop on the 2nd monitor and the first monitor is blank.  I have to go through the windows menus and re-detect all monitors to get my 1st monitor back.  Not only that but because of all this monitor switching, all my apps have to be moved back to where they were originally.  This is making work via KVM switch nearly impossible.  I've upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers which are dated in mid-July.

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

This is what I'd prefer: Just leave my 2nd monitor alone... don't throw my desktop to it, don't resize it, don't move any application windows I have open in it...  Just leave it be like it used to function in XP.

Similar problem here: I have a Linkskey 4 port dual monitor KVM switch, one is DVI and the other is VGA. I have in my dual setup on each box, the DVI as primary, and the VGA as secondary.

port1: Win server 2003 w/ dual monitors

port2: Win XP x64 machine w/ dual monitors

port3: Windows 7 64 w/ dual monitors

port 4: Mac Pro snow leopard with one monitor (I have an apple 30" cinema display on the one port of that and the 2nd into 2nd port of the KVM)

For years the port 3 was also win xp x64 machine, everything worked like a charm. I upgraded one machine to windows 7 64 as I had a software upgrade in my studio requiring it. Now if I switch away from the Win7 machine to ANY of the other 4 ports and return, it returns on one monitor only (always to the the VGA monitor that is *not* selected as the main monitor in my setup, the DVI one is left "off"). So EVERY time I switch I then have to go to "Screen Resolution" and then click "Detect" and it will return them to the original state. Quite annoying.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:04 PM
  • This is an old issue still be reported for years and crossing  to may different traditional KVM switches which does not support UN-interrupted feeding of connected display's EDID to each of the connected system to KVM switch.

Again, there are two ways to solve it.

1) exchange or upgrade the KVM switch to the one supporting the "all-time full DDC/EDID emulation"

2) add an DDC/EDID emulator between each connected systems and the old KVM switch (each connected system need one). 

After years of searching, these are the only two solutions work permanently.

Wish this will help!

Friday, December 2, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Again, there are two ways to solve it.

1) exchange or upgrade the KVM switch to the one supporting the "all-time full DDC/EDID emulation"

2) add an DDC/EDID emulator between each connected systems and the old KVM switch (each connected system need one). 

After years of searching, these are the only two solutions work permanently.

Wish this will help! 

Nice try.  The emulator is $60 and it seems the EDID KVMs are $150+.  There's a third way which is cheaper, easier and cleaner than the two you mentioned.   Removing pin 12 from a cheap VGA male-female adapter or cable works and is mentioned above.  

(Don't have an adapter? Simply search for 'vga female male'.  I bought three on Amazon just in case I messed up one but I got it on the first try.  Total with shipping was less than $7 and I received my order in 4 days).

Removing the pin is a piece of cake.  I did it in two minutes with a pair of medium sized scissors - I couldn't find my needle nose pliers but it didn't matter because the pin is not held in well at all.  

I attached the adapter to the output of the KVM going to my Win 7 Enterprise machine and I didn't even have to reboot.  All I did was click on detect in the screen resolution settings of display, and it found the monitor (non-plug and play).  Then I just rearranged the monitors like I wanted and everything was back to normal as before I upgraded from XP to Win 7 Enterprise.

BTW, this is not a problem on Win 7 Home edition (that's the other computer hooked to my KVM), so Microsoft could have "easily" addressed this issue.  Of course, this problem stems from a lack of will, not a lack of ability, which is sad.  Someone in upper management is being a bit short sighted because fixing these small annoying problems, even if it costs a few million dollars would help sell more products in the long run.  This fix would have been perfect for a service pack, but oh well, whatever.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:03 PM
  • perhaps it is wishful thinking to think some microsoft developer would see this...

Is this kvm switching problem fixed?

I didn't have any problems with my KVM and desktop until a recent "update"... now, whether I use my kvm or just unplug my monitor my desktop re-arranges itself and all the windows move around and resize to the "new" setting of my unplugged monitor... I am only using a single monitor so this shouldn't be too difficult... default action should be if I disconnect the monitor then the desktop shouldn't be resized to some other random setting so that when I reconnect the monitor everything is as it was... and this should work even with cheap kvm switches... why? because resetting the desktop to some random size for the non-existent monitor is just random... if you are going to select a random behavior then why make setting the size to the minimum be the default? That behavior is not useful... setting to some default is a random decision...

If the monitor is an unknown which was plugged in then the behavior should remember that setting until it changes... i.e. if it goes from monitorA to monitorB then change the setting to monitorB... but if it goes from monitorA to unknown or nothing then don't change anything... if the action caused unacceptable results by plugging in an unknown monitor then they can go back to monitorA and change the settings prior to plugging in the unknown... the plug and play behavior should be reserved for recognized devices instead of making random choices... this behavior reminds me of my microwave oven... it beeps at me every few seconds when I open the door and displays that the door is open... did I not know that the door that I opened was open such that it must remind me that it is open? This is a "feature" that solves a "problem" that didn't need to get "fixed"... for safety reasons the microwave shuts off when the door is open... if the door is open, the microwave won't run... so unless I try pushing the start button with the door open then there is no problem... likewise just because I unplug my monitor when I had a monitor setting that I set is it necessary to change that setting to mess up all my windows and desktop icons? What was the reasoning? "Oh, I detected a change and now I don't know what to change it to because I don't detect anything therefore I will change the resolution to the minimum even though I don't detect anything"?

Perhaps this is different from the original post... in the original post there is a monitor plugged into a graphics card on the computer then the kvm is connected to a second monitor and a separate monitor port... In that case what to do with the "space" that is connected then disconnected? in that case it seems to me this approach is still the right behavior... if it goes blank then do not scramble stuff around... if it changes to something else then set it to the new setting... if the settings were set for those other devices then remember those settings and if one of those then set it appropriately... but stop making a default behavior that serves no purpose...

Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:14 PM
  • This issue must be something very complicated.  I have 3 Dell desktops.  All 3 are the same model with Win7 and all have dual output video cards.  All 3 are connected via DVI to 2 KVM (Avocent SC440) switches to 2 Dell monitors.  Only one of the 3 desktops will display on both monitors (both monitors are the same model as well).  The other 2 won't recognize the second monitor.  I have even tried different KVM's and switching the position of the KVM's (same models) with no luck.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hi, please check the dispaly driver, you can searching online for software. i got this issue also, it was fixed when update the display driver.
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:35 AM