Manual definitions and engine update method for an image ? (after a /NOMOM install) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I needed to create a new desktop PC image as we are moving away from McAfee to FCS and wanted install a locally updated (no MOM server) up to date install of FCS plus the latest engine updates plus the latest definitions. Later, the imaged PCs will be added to the domain and use WSUS but I want them secure before that stage in case they get deployed as standalones and/or to protect them in the 30 minutes or so whilst they get joined to the domain and get WSUS updates.

Although I didn't like McAfee AV for several reasons (e.g. performance overhead, defs not getting updated quickly enough with zero-day stuff etc.) the one thing that was very clear on it was what is a base client, what is an engine update, what is an AV def update, where to download them and how to install them. FCS doesn't seem that clear to me although I'm loving the small footprint. Naturally, I looked around various forums such as this but can't quite nail down the process.

The first part was kinda easy - although I could not find a full install of the base product (??!!) I did manage to get it from a colleague in another office and successfully installed the base FCS client using the /NOMOM switch to get around no contact with WSUS at that stage.

The rest was very fuzzy - I went to once area which had an MPAM-FE.exe file (not sure if this is engine AND def updates ?) but when the FCS loaded it told me it was out of date and the link provided took me to the MS Catalog site which presented me with some patch and service pack files and definitions updates in a different format than MPAM ??!!

I am confused as to which update method to use - use MS Catalog - a load of files with no indication as to what order they should be installed in and no info as to whether they are cumulative (i.e. just use the last dated one??) or to forget all that and just use MPAM-FE or MPAM-FE plus something else ?

I searched to see if there was a document guiding on the manual install and update method and whilst there are a few articles mentioning /NOMOM and MPAM-FE in basic terms I could not see anything else.

I really want to get the best practice manual update procedure nailed down - please could someone enlighten me on the manual update process and where to get the full base client ?

Thanks

Tomhass

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:55 AM

All replies

• Link for your information about manually update FCS client http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935934

If you found that after update it shows '!' , try selecting product in WSUS Console Product option . It will download from microsoft automattically and deply to clien

Tushar
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Link for your information about manually update FCS client http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935934

If you found that after update it shows '!' , try selecting product in WSUS Console Product option . It will download from microsoft automattically and deply to clien

Tushar
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:43 AM