none
How to create modern Team Site or communication site in different languages? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently working on new SharePoint templates.I have the following queries.

1. I don't see any option for selecting language for creating modern team site (or) Communication site from UI. It is taking English by default.How to create these sites in different language?
    2. Once these sites are created in English, how can we change the site to another language.
    Friday, November 17, 2017 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Question 1#

Yes, there is no option to set the default language for modern team site/ communication site in UI.

I suggest you submit feedback via UserVoice. This is the best way to let related team hear your voice. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Question 2#

You can access Site Settings page > click Language settings, check the languages you need in the Alternate Language field. After that, the display language will follow the language setting of client user.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 20, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Thanks for your Response
    I tried the option which you recommended in the question 2. But,it didn't work. I made the changes but the changes haven't reflected even after a day. Could you please help me to understand problem with my tenant or is it an expected behavior.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 4:53 AM
  • Hi,

Of course I’ll help you fix this issue and I need more details.

Could you provide screenshots about the Alternate Language and the IE browser language settings?

Please try to change your personal language and region settings to test:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-your-personal-language-and-region-settings-caa1fccc-bcdb-42f3-9e5b-45957647ffd7

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 23, 2017 8:34 AM
  • There is no option to create modern team sites or communication sites in a different language from the UI, other than going to the administration portal and changing the default language in the organization profile, creating the site, then changing it back. This is just in theory - you try that on your tenant if you like, I'm not taking that risk with my own tenants.  I did it with a test tenant once and things got a bit messed up.

However you can get part of the way there with out of the box functionality and all the way with a third party product.  This is by using MUI functionality, most of which works with communication and team sites.

Create your Communication site.  Then, without editing a single thing on the site, go to a library page in classic view and go to Site Settings -> Language Settings.  This is mostly to confirm - Communication sites and modern Team sites get created with all the alternate languages already activated, unlike other sites types.  Make sure that your target language is selected.

The change your own personal setting to the desired language of the site. See this post to change your language

The site will appear in the desired language.  But you're not quite there yet. As long as you haven't changed anything, SharePoint Online will use the site template in the language of the user.  So now that it's displaying in the language that you want, start changing it, even just one character, in every webpart on every page, to make that language permanent for everyone.

You'll have to make sure that all users of that site also have their profile language set to that language.  You've changed the content, but list names, navigation, etc, will display in the language of each user, and the original language versions are still there.

Friday, February 2, 2018 5:27 PM