Custom Mailtip for when a user adds an attachment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to follow these instructions but I don't see how I get it so that the mailtip comes up when they add an attachment to the email?

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/mailtips/configure-custom-mailtips

Thanks!

Thursday, June 4, 2020 6:40 PM

Answers

• :) It doesn't say exactly that but it does say I can trigger a mailtip when a user adds an attachment to an email, I assume one that they are composing, no? 

So how do I do that company wide and can I customize it

Thanks!

There is no custom mail tip for when a user adds an attachment. The only customizable mail tips are the ones listed in that doc - based on recipient. All that doc is saying is that the adding attachment piece fires the mail tip event, not that you can customize it.

Additionally there are org level settings:

Get-OrganizationConfig |FL *tips*

MailTipsAllTipsEnabled                : True
    MailTipsExternalRecipientsTipsEnabled : True
    MailTipsGroupMetricsEnabled           : True
    MailTipsLargeAudienceThreshold        : 25
    MailTipsMailboxSourcedTipsEnabled     : True

If you look at this chart in this doc, under the section called "Custom", those are the ones you can customize:( It links to the doc you posted )

The attachment mail tip is invoked if you add a large attachment and its over the allowed quota limit. That is not customizable.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/mailtips/mailtips

Friday, June 5, 2020 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm trying to follow these instructions but I don't see how I get it so that the mailtip comes up when they add an attachment to the email?

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/mailtips/configure-custom-mailtips

Thanks!

Thats already built-in to Outlook under Options/Mail/MailTips/Mail Tips Options and really refers to adding an attachment that will create a message that exceeds the allowed quota.

Thursday, June 4, 2020 7:18 PM
  • Yes, I know. But the article from Microsoft claims I can have a custom mailtip everytime a user adds an attachment to the email he's about to send. That's what I would like to do.

Thanks!

Thursday, June 4, 2020 7:25 PM
  • Yes, I know. But the article from Microsoft claims I can have a custom mailtip everytime a user adds an attachment to the email he's about to send. That's what I would like to do.

Thanks!

Well, no it doesnt say that :)

It's poorly worded however.

Its saying that the built-in mail tips are triggered for those events and

"In addition to the built-in MailTips that are available, you can create custom MailTips for all types of recipients."

Thursday, June 4, 2020 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information of Thuyavan Ganesan is helpful, if it is, do you mind helping mark the post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 5, 2020 1:54 AM
  • :) It doesn't say exactly that but it does say I can trigger a mailtip when a user adds an attachment to an email, I assume one that they are composing, no? 

Thanks!

Friday, June 5, 2020 12:55 PM

Thanks!

There is no custom mail tip for when a user adds an attachment. The only customizable mail tips are the ones listed in that doc - based on recipient. All that doc is saying is that the adding attachment piece fires the mail tip event, not that you can customize it.

Additionally there are org level settings:

Get-OrganizationConfig |FL *tips*

MailTipsAllTipsEnabled                : True
    MailTipsExternalRecipientsTipsEnabled : True
    MailTipsGroupMetricsEnabled           : True
    MailTipsLargeAudienceThreshold        : 25
    MailTipsMailboxSourcedTipsEnabled     : True

If you look at this chart in this doc, under the section called "Custom", those are the ones you can customize:( It links to the doc you posted )

The attachment mail tip is invoked if you add a large attachment and its over the allowed quota limit. That is not customizable.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/mailtips/mailtips

Friday, June 5, 2020 1:16 PM
  • Ok, that's much more clear than the doc! Thanks!

Friday, June 5, 2020 2:37 PM