none
"App Privacy" GPO settings not working on Windows 10 systems

Question

• Running Win 2012 Std R2 / Win 10 Pro. Have all of the settings under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Privacy set to "Force Deny". When I go to the targeted systems and perform a RSoP I see the GPO has successfully applied. I check the registry value for these settings and they all have a value of 2 which I believe is Force Deny.

Has anyone else noticed these settings don't work? Is this a bug or am I missing something?

J. Swann – Information Security Engineer

Sunday, January 17, 2016 4:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 are you using?

These policy settings are new introduced. I have tested this in my local lab, these settings don't work on build 1024, however work well on build 10586.29 and 11099.1000 (Insider Preview Build).

So you probably need to upgrade your Windows 10 to a newer build, then try it again.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 18, 2016 7:17 AM
  • I'm at build 10240. How does one go about upgrading? I think I'm current on my Win updates. Please don't say I have to pay for a newer version of Win 10.

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

You don't need to pay for a newer version of Windows 10. Microsoft has officially launched the Windows 10 November Update, with build 10586 now rolling out to all PC users of the operating system.

Since you are currently running Windows 10, by default, you will receive the November update according to your Windows Update settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-faq

If you didn't get the November Update, you can use the Media Creation Tool to install it manually:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:12 AM
  • I'm using WSUS. What would be the classification? Service Packs, Updates, Upgrades? There isn't a KB or Bulletin URL you can point me to?

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

If you’re planning on using WSUS to distribute the November feature update for Windows 10, you’ll need to take time to apply KB3095113 to your server.

>What would be the classification? Service Packs, Updates, Upgrades?

Once the new patch is applied to WSUS servers, a new update content file type and update classification called, “Upgrades,” will be made available in the list and the WSUS server will then be able to distribute the upgrade.

First Major Update for Windows 10 Available Today:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/11/12/first-major-update-for-windows-10-available-today/

For more information about this, I would suggest you post in the dedicated Windows 10 forum, there you should get more professional responses:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Thanks upgrading fixed it. I could not get the update through my WSUS to work. It would download and attempt to install but give an install error immediately. When I tried the update directly from MS it worked.

Friday, January 22, 2016 9:54 PM