none
Strange issue in the project plan showing predecessors and found predecessors are different RRS feed

• Question

• There seems to be a very strange error in the Project plan with regards to inter-dependency predecessors.

The situation is as follows:

• Retail Plan has a section that has 4 predecessors from the IT plan. I know they are from IT because I set this predecessors and the description of the predecessor task is from the IT plan, however,
    • Now, the predecessor says it’s from Admin for each of these 4 predecessors, however, the description remains from IT. If you click into the predecessor box and then click enter (refreshing the predecessor) the description changes to the description found in Admin – however, this is not what I want.

Is there any way we can find out how this error occurred?

Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:38 PM

All replies

• John,

First of all, what version of Project are you using? Whichever version, do you have the latest updates installed (see, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587)? Are you using Project stand alone or in a Project Server environment?

We need a little more information about your file structure. Are the "Retail Plan", "IT plan" and "Admin" each separate project files or are they each just a section of a single file? If they are separate files, how did you set up the links (i.e. external predecessors/successors)? Are they part of a master/subproject file structure?

When you say the predecessor "says" if from somewhere, what exactly do you mean? Are you looking in the Predecessor field?

We need a much clearer understanding of what you have before we can help you but off-hand I'd say there is no error, just a misunderstanding on how Project works.

John

Sunday, July 8, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Please re-post if this is still an issue..

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:30 PM
  • We are using December 2011 CU for Project professional 2010 ?

and working in project server 2010 environment ?

All these plans are separate projects and links with master project.

and links with master project with predeccessor field.

and i am looking in predeccessor field ?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:36 AM
  • It seems that you have linked tasks of one project to external task of another project by directly entering the external predecessors in predecessors column. This could be reason you are experiencing this issue.

The best way to create a cross-project dependency is to create a temporary master project by doing the following:

1. Launch Project Professional 2010 and connect to Project Server.
    2. Leave the new blank project open.
    3. Click the Project tab and then click the Subproject button in the Insert section of the Project ribbon.
    4. Select the first project in question and click the Insert button.
    5. Click the Subproject button again, select the second project and click the Insert button.
    6. Expand the bottom subproject first and then expand the top subproject next.
    7. Click the Task tab.
    8. Select the predecessor task in the first project, press and hold the Control key, and select the successor task in the second project.
    9. Release the Control key and click the Link Tasks button.
    After completed the preceding steps, you can close the temporary master project without saving it.  When prompted to save each of the subprojects, click the Yes to All button.  Remember that your cross-project linkage information is contained in the individual projects and not in the master project. 

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:14 PM