Closing port 445 on a AD network with Windows 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I don't know how to close port 445. I tried to add a new registy in my GPO, in Computer Configuration/Preferences/Windows settings/Registry, on the key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\TransportBindName.

I tried to delete the key, to delete the value but nothing worked  the registry value was not updated or deleted.

How can I disable port 445? Disabling this port could affect my active directory network or WSUS server? Is windos using this port to propagate GPOs or to receive some updates? I don't need to browse files on my network.

Thank you.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hello

I must close ports 139 and 445. I closed port 139 by disabling Netbios on each computer.

I don't know how to close port 445. I tried to add a new registy in my GPO, in Computer Configuration/Preferences/Windows settings/Registry, on the key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\TransportBindName..

I tried to delete the key, to delete the value but nothing worked - the registry value was not updated or deleted. 

How can I disable port 445?

Disabling this port could affect my active directory network or WSUS server? Is windos using this port to propagate GPOs or to receive some updates? I don't need to browse files on my network.

Thank you.

• Merged by Wendy Jiang Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:42 AM duplicated
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:32 AM
  • Hi,
    Yes, you could disable port 445, but it is not suggested, as port 445 is used for replication, user and computer authentication, Group Policy and trusts, disabling this port could cause issues.
    I don’t know why you want to disable this port, if you are doing this for preventing Ransomware problem, in this case, I would suggest to firstly install last updates on computers, the updates have fixed the issue in them and then you could also disable SMB V1 manually instead of disabling port 445.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Monday, June 5, 2017 8:50 AM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 5, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Hi,
    As there is no feedback about this case for days, is the problem fixed by the replies as above? If that is the case, could you please help to mark the replies as answers? It will help others find the answers easily who have the similar question.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy Jiang

Friday, June 9, 2017 1:26 PM