MBSA 2.1 Unable to scan 64bit Windows 2003 servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I am having trouble scanning my 64bit servers using MBSA 2.1 offline mode. I dont have any issue scanning 32bits. The error is "an error occurred while scanning for security updates (0x8024402c)". I have looked around the internet and it seems this is related to proxy, which is strange because i dont think it is required since i'm scanning in offline mode and the user account i used does have internet access anyway.

any ideas?
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

According to your description, I understand that you got the error message when scanning x64 server using MBSA offline mode.

As far as I know, this behavior occurs when Group Policy settings for your computer are configure to use WSUS to download updates and MBSA is configured to connect to the WSUS server to download updates.

To workaround this behavior, configure MBSA to only scan Microsoft Update:

1. Open Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer from the Start / All Programs menu.

2. Press Scan a computer.

3. Check the Advanced Update Services options box.

4. Check the Scan using Microsoft Update only radial button.

5. Press Start scan.

Meanwhile, as this forum mainly focus on the general question about Forefront Client Security, if you have any question about this, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:55 AM