none
Generating a Custom Resource Over-Allocation Report RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I'm trying to generate a resource over-allocation report that will tell me when and by how much a specific resource is overallocated. I'm using a resource pool with about 10 projects liked to it. So the idea was to be able to see when each resource is over-allocated during which project and to be able to see which tasks, if any, are using the same resource thus causing the over-allocation. Are there any add-ins or any creative ways you guys can think of generating this type of report?

Thanks,

Monday, September 23, 2013 4:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The resource usage view in the resource pool is the answer. You can insert a column "Project" then the information is complete. No need for  a report.

Greetings,

Monday, September 23, 2013 5:59 PM
  • In the Resource Pool and click on Resource Usage, Insert the Project column to see which project is causing the over allocation. In timephased view you can see the days on which allocation is noted. Even the Resource Graph shows the over-allocated report. Is there anything else that you are looking for? Please also specify the project version.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Sorry Jan, seems we were typing at the same time I couldn't see your answer prior to posting. :)

Sapna Shukla

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:09 PM
  • To add to the previous answers, I would modify the usage grid by adding in the 'overallocation' field.  You can do this by right clicking on the column and selecting detail styles and adding in the overallocation field.  This will give you the 'how much'.  Good luck.

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Thanks for the replies. However, we want a way to be able to do the following:

For example, If i had a project file that had 200 tasks and 10 of them were the main summary tasks. I would like a way to be able to show when resource x, y, and z are over allocated during the installation phase of the project.

Is there any way to do this?

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Your first question was pretty thoroughly answered by some very helpful and knowledgeable people.

Regarding your second question.  You mentioned that you have 10 projects and a common resource pool.  While analyzing one of these projects, you wish to detect over-allocations of resources x, y, and z during the installation phase of the currently opened project.  And--you want to determine which other projects/tasks are using these resources.

You can insert all 10 of your projects into a consolidated project (i.e. a temporary master project).  And then--on the Resource Usage view--where over-allocations appear in red, you can: (1) insert the Project field into your grid, (2) determine (red letters) whether resources x, y, or z are over-allocated, (3) determine (red numbers in timephased grid) whether those resources are over-allocated during the time period of interest, and (4) determine which other projects and tasks are contributing to the over-allocation.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:13 PM Delete signature line
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:12 PM