SBS 2011 - Removing Sharepoint? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it safe to remove SharePoint 2010 from SBS 2011? We don't use it and it's just taking up resources that could be used for other processes.
    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    Monday, March 21, 2011 10:12 PM

Answers

• I just uninstalled Sharepoint completely and everything works fine. only the exchange console through this error:

Exception calling "GetSteppablePipeline" with "1" argument(s): "File\Program Files\Exchange Server\RemoteScripts\ConsoleInitialize.ps1 cannot be loaded because the execution of scripts is disabled on this system.  Please see "get-help about-signing" for more details

the fix is fairly easy and can be found here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/exchange2010/thread/268c569f-71a5-4086-b627-86232035c8f1

RWW and OWA as well as the website work all fine.

i thought about reinstalling sharepoint but everything runs so smooth right now that i will keep it this way for a while

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
    • Marked as answer by Quilnux Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:33 AM

All replies

• I would not advice that. Please also keep in mond that SBS is sold as a bunch of technologies packed in one product. Before removing you should consider that sooner or later you will do migration to newer SBS version. You can safely stop SP from services and you should be save with your resources and not chaning SBS installation

With kind regards
    Krystian Zieja
    http://www.projectnenvision.com
    Follow me on twitter
    My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Quilnux Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Quilnux Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:15 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 10:16 PM
  • I understand. Thats probably a good idea in the long run. However, I feel that we will probably migrate to the Essentials suite after this one. We are starting to head that way.
    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Why not simply stop the services and switch them to disabled? Removing SharePoint is a very drastic step and I reckon would have ramifications for future updates and service packs (although it shouldn't). Thanks Robert Crane
    • Marked as answer by Quilnux Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:44 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Quilnux Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Why not simply stop the services and switch them to disabled? Removing SharePoint is a very drastic step and I reckon would have ramifications for future updates and service packs (although it shouldn't). Thanks Robert Crane

Thats why I was asking. Wasn't sure if it can be removed or if it's better to just disable everything. We decided on disabling as both you and Krystian have suggested.
    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Here's a question, how do I remove the Sharepoint Link from RWW without using the SBS admin console? The admin console has stopped working since I removed the Search Server in place of the Indexing server so I could get Dynamics CRM installed. Is this a database thing with the Windows Internal Database or a registry thing?
    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:24 PM
  • there is a reinstall guide in the lib http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd548327(WS.10).aspx

wouldn't that assume that sharepoint is completely uninstalled? can it be assumed that it it save to uninstall it?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:30 AM
  • I just uninstalled Sharepoint completely and everything works fine. only the exchange console through this error:

Exception calling "GetSteppablePipeline" with "1" argument(s): "File\Program Files\Exchange Server\RemoteScripts\ConsoleInitialize.ps1 cannot be loaded because the execution of scripts is disabled on this system.  Please see "get-help about-signing" for more details

the fix is fairly easy and can be found here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/exchange2010/thread/268c569f-71a5-4086-b627-86232035c8f1

RWW and OWA as well as the website work all fine.

i thought about reinstalling sharepoint but everything runs so smooth right now that i will keep it this way for a while

• Marked as answer by Quilnux Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:33 AM
  • BoTN,  are you still happy with your SP uninstall?

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:06 AM
  • i have to say .. for the most part.  

SharePoint is a very nice product but for what we do here it is too much and not really suited. 

Taking it off also takes a good chunk of load off the server as SharePoint is pretty database heavy and really should be run on a separate  server.

We consider to re-implement it at a later point in time. 

The only problem we had so far from removing it is an error message stating that the spsearch account can not be authenticated. The spsearch account is part of SharePoint and as it has been removed this error can be ignored. 

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:42 PM
  • poppycock.

an unused SP is a trivial load compared to the rest of SBS. (IMHO, of course)

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:18 AM
  • Hi BoTN

What did you actually do to sort this? The link you provided doesn't provide very clear instructions?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:48 PM
  • i am not sure what happened to the link but i don't recall having pointed to the destination it leads to now. ?_?

we essentially followed the uninstall procedure for Sharepoint which is fairly easy to do once you start it. however, we ended up with the spsearch service still alive and kicking after the install and throwing all kinds of error in the system. we disabled the service in the system services and adjusted the reporting to exclude spsearch. that's really about it

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Just to let you all know - I installed sbs2008 without SP and it still throws up the spsearch error, which we ignore of-course.
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:31 AM
  • Disabling the SP services alone made a huge performance difference on our server.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:20 PM
  • The reason one would consider completely ripping SharePoint out of SBS 2011 is because stopping and disabling the SharePoint services, stopping the SharePoint sites in IIS, disabling the SharePoint Scheduled Tasks, and stopping and disabling the SharePoint Instance SQL Server service causes a flood of SharePoint Foundation error events in the Application Logs (events 5586 and 2159) every couple minutes.  If you know how to prevent these alerts from occurring then adding that to the steps mentioned above is certainly a better solution than completely uninstalling SharePoint.  If not (if these error events cant be stopped), uninstalling SharePoint or completely getting rid of SBS 2011 seems like the only logical solution to me.
    • Edited by MRat2014 Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:13 PM correction
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:12 PM