none
Hyper-V Ubuntu can't connect to internet

Question

• I have an instance of Ubuntu 18.04 running on Hyper-V on Windows 10. Windows 10 connects to the internet through our office LAN over Ethernet just fine - I am using it to post this question - but Ubuntu isn't receiving the internet connection.

How do I make the virtual machine connect?

Here's a screen print of the ipconfig for the Windows machine (with identifications redacted):

I first tried using the Hyper-V virtual switch set to the default virtual switch, with no success. Here are screen prints for the ipconfig for the default virtual switch and the corresponding Ubuntu command along with the configurations used in the virtual machine, followed by the resulting screen print showing the connection failed:

I next tried using the Hyper-V virtual switch to create a new virtual switch, with no success. Here are screen prints for the ipconfig for the new virtual switch and the corresponding Ubuntu command along with the configurations used in the virtual machine, followed by the resulting screen print showing the connection failed with this configuration as well:

Note: While I've redacted, I note that the ipconfig result for DHCPv6 Client DUID and DNS Servers, and the GENERAL.HWADDR for the Ubuntu command in the new switch are identical to that of the default switch.

And finally here are the network connections:

Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:10 AM

Answers

• Solved!

When I initially installed Ubuntu, I specified the following two options:

• Encrypted install
    • Minimal install

On a hunch, I decided to try a new virtual machine with the following options:

• No encryption
    • Normal install

This time I have connectivity.

So it appears to be one of my original options that blocked connectivity.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:46 PM