none
sysvol replication error

Question

• hi,
    I have problem on my network that i demote a DC that contain the ( sysvol ) and all other DCs gating the shortcut of the sysvol . however the server still as a member server in the network and still i didn't disjoint from domain. in additional, the server name still in AD site and services.
     could you please help me on this?   
    do you prefer to dcpromo up the server again ? or 
     do i need to do metadata cleanup first? 
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We need more détails about the replication status try to run the flowwing command:

dcdiag
    repadmin /showrepl
    dcdiag /test:dfsrevent /v

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 11:28 AM
  •  do you prefer to dcpromo up the server again ? or 
     do i need to do metadata cleanup first? 

Actually if you demote the dc gracefully no need to perform metadata cleanup.But seems there was problem during demote process.

So you should perform metadata cleanup to remove(completely) dc from domain.

still i didn't disjoint from domain. in additional>>>.also you need to disjoin server from domain before metadata cleanup.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 11:56 AM
  • the error is ( The Processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file  \\domain\sysvol\domain\policies\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful.

I tried to solve it and google it but still the same issue.

• Edited by MASH86 Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:25 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:24 AM
  • i found that the policy GUID has been renamed so that way the processing is failed.

now is there any impact if i rename it to the original one?

or should i do the authoritative restore? 

• Edited by MASH86 Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:53 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:53 AM
  • Hi,
    {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} should be the GUID of the GPO which could not be found. You could get the GPO name by running Get-GPO –Guid command, and then check if you could find the GPO on the working domain controllers.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:59 AM
  • now is there any impact if i rename it to the original one?

or should i do the authoritative restore? 

No,you shouldn't rename the orginal one.as you mentioned this server is not an DC anymore,you should do a metadata cleanup,before that you should disjoin the server.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:45 AM
  • hi ,

i disjoin the server. and i solved the problem of event id 1058 which about The Processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file  \\domain\sysvol\domain\policies\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. 

salutation: 

I found the policy object on sysvol renamed by the system. however. i have confirmed that the all files and folders in that object is the same as the original. so, i take a copy of renamed object and i keep only the exactly name of the original object . then, just gpupdate /force. finally, all the issues has been gone the problem solved. (all just copy the object, rename to the same to the original file)

thanks to all

Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Hi,
    Great news and thank you for the update and share, if possible, we would greatly appreciate you to mark the reply as answers, as it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 9, 2016 6:15 AM