Can we run PowerShell 7 in PS ISE? RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to run ForEach-Object -Parallel code and found that it needs PS7. I installed it and can see separate PS7 installed which just has normal console, not good UI interface like PS ISE. 

So is there any way to run PS7 code in ISE directly? Or any other tool now like VS Code? What do you PS expert guys use mostly? 

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Monday, May 25, 2020 2:51 PM

Answers

• I don't know if the ISE will ever run PS7. Use VS Code.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange Ex-MVP (16 years)

Monday, May 25, 2020 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

I also believe it never will get official supported, but you'll find workarounds with a quick search :-)
    https://ironmansoftware.com/using-powershell-core-6-and-7-in-the-windows-powershell-ise/

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, May 25, 2020 3:12 PM
  • PowerShell 7 is NOT a replacement for Windows PowerShell.  It cannot do what Windows 5.1 can do.   Microsoft has stated that ISE is gone.  

PowerShell 7 is a cross platform scripting tool and is designed to remote many parts of PowerShell 7.  It can be useful for created combined code to be used on multiple platforms.  PowerShell 5.1 will remain the current version.

If you are not planning on using scripts across platforms then you probably want to avoid PS 7 for the time being.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 25, 2020 4:22 PM

All replies

• I don't know if the ISE will ever run PS7. Use VS Code.

Monday, May 25, 2020 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

I also believe it never will get official supported, but you'll find workarounds with a quick search :-)
    https://ironmansoftware.com/using-powershell-core-6-and-7-in-the-windows-powershell-ise/

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, May 25, 2020 3:12 PM
  • Here's a nice video on how to add ps 7 to the ISE menu:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqzf7mUloaE  This is a good video channel.

• Edited by JS2010 Monday, May 25, 2020 3:44 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2020 3:44 PM
  • PowerShell 7 is NOT a replacement for Windows PowerShell.  It cannot do what Windows 5.1 can do.   Microsoft has stated that ISE is gone.  

PowerShell 7 is a cross platform scripting tool and is designed to remote many parts of PowerShell 7.  It can be useful for created combined code to be used on multiple platforms.  PowerShell 5.1 will remain the current version.

If you are not planning on using scripts across platforms then you probably want to avoid PS 7 for the time being.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 25, 2020 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

Yeah, I saw such blogs, videos but it looks like workaround. I wanted what Microsoft point of view- maybe VS code is a way to go going forward.

- Vaibhav

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 3:11 PM

Good info! 

What exactly is cross platform? Please give an example. I heard PowerShell Core is also something that can be used for cross platform.

I use PS mostly to login to Azure, connect to storage, database and gather details. 

Maybe Visual Code is a way to go going forward? Thing is that - PS ISE is very simple and intellisense is better in it. But if VS Code is better according to you and will have enhancement going forwards, will switch to VS Code now. Suggestions please?

- Vaibhav

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 3:18 PM
  • Think of "cross-platform" as being able to take you script from a Windows machine and run it (without changes) successfully on, say, Ubuntu.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 3:22 PM

Good info! 

What exactly is cross platform? Please give an example. I heard PowerShell Core is also something that can be used for cross platform.

I use PS mostly to login to Azure, connect to storage, database and gather details. 

Maybe Visual Code is a way to go going forward? Thing is that - PS ISE is very simple and intellisense is better in it. But if VS Code is better according to you and will have enhancement going forwards, will switch to VS Code now. Suggestions please?

- Vaibhav

PowerShell 7 i snot fully ready to support Azure.  Many things may not work. The MS target for Azure is PowerShell 5.1 so you should stick to that.  If you run UNIX boxes on the Azure platform then PS 7 will allow you to build and test some scripts with Windows and then run them on Unix.  Cross platform is a bit tricky for non-programmers without good OS training.  VsCode is the MS recommended tool for development of scripts with any version of PowerShell.  If you are only using Azure commands from Windows then skip PS 7 other than learning and getting used to it.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 4:33 PM