none
NTDS Folder in 2016

Question

• In the NTDS folder where much of Active Directory is stored, we have the usual files ntds.dit, edb.log, edbres00001.jrs and so on.  I know what these files are for because this is well documented.  However in my Windows Server 2016 domain controller, there are (in addition) also files I haven't seen before that start with "api" e.g. apitmp.log, apires00001.log and so on.  Does anyone know what these files are for?  I can't seem to find documentation explaining each of their roles.  If someone could guide me to a technet article or something I would be really grateful.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Karim

Those are old links and I know about all that.  I'm asking about files like apitmp.log?  I've never seen a file by that name in the NTDS folder before, and I've been involved since the days of NT4.  There are files starting with "api" in Windows\NTDS what do they do?  

Thanks

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:27 AM
  •  I'm asking about files like apitmp.log?  I've never seen a file by that name in the NTDS folder before,

Also i have never seen these log's on ntds folder,but seems to be a application temp log file.If you don't make sure Ntds health,you should analyse with ntdsutil.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816754(v=ws.10).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Thanks Burak but I still don't know what these files in the NTDS folder are for, the ones starting with "api" e.g. apitmp.log, apires00001.log.  I'm trying to understand, so I can explain to my students what these (new) files do, but nothing is documented and so far no one knows.    
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 11:01 PM
  • Hi,
    Based on my research, it seems that there is no such documents about these files. If you need detail explanation about them, I would suggest you open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get more information from product team regarding these files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 2:55 AM
  • These files are new files introduced with windows server 2016, for persistent flush mapping checks. Basically it is certain ways for the ESE database to determine if any corruption occurs to it. I got this information from Joe Richards, who is a microsoft MVP and one of the rare Active directory experts.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 8, 2017 1:00 PM