Traffic flow in Skype for Business hybrid deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

In a Skype for Business Hybrid Deployment:

1. What happens to Skype for Business Online users if all On-Premises front-End servers are down?

2. When does a Skype for Business Online user will use Edge or Front-ends On-premises servers?

3. Can be seen both platforms as independant?

There exists some diagrams explaining the traffic route between Skype for Business On-Premises and Skype for Business Online?

Thanks

• Edited by SKM12 Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:33 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2016 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hi

Online users will still be able to use their clients for P2P communication and ad-hoc meetings. Federation would work one way if the on-prem edges where down. This would be true for clients who are signed in at the time of failure. If new sign in happens when on-prem is down, sign-in would not happen because the on-prem servers won't be there to issue the next hop to online.

online users will only use on-prem for lync discovery and inbound federation (partner -> online client) They won't use the on-prem system for anything else, except internal federation between online and on-prem users.

As part of hybrid both platforms are dependent on each other (well more online dependent on on-prem than the other way around). But they can't work independently on the same SIP domain. The source of authority must always be on-prem in a hybrid scenario. This means all initial requests go to on-prem first (DNS records) then the on-prem system redirects to the cloud if the endpoint is in Skype for Business Online.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:18 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SKM12 Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Friday, September 30, 2016 9:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SKM12 Monday, October 3, 2016 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Very well explained by Mark. Also sharing a kb which explains a scenario to troubleshoot  sign in issues.

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:22 AM
  • So, when a Skype Online user tries to contact a federated domain, this traffic will flow through On-Prem Edges?

In the other way (federated to Skype Online user), I think traffic must traverse On-Prem Edges, due to DNS records

Is it correct?

• Marked as answer by jim-xu Friday, September 30, 2016 9:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SKM12 Monday, October 3, 2016 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:03 AM
  • That is correct.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:29 AM
  • Can you share any public URL that confirm this?

Thanks

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:21 AM
  • These Kbs should explain  that

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/2757450

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398758%28v=ocs.15%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:05 AM
  • Thanks Akampa for your share, but I cannot find the federation traffic flow description in an hybrid environment.

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:15 AM
  • Deleted
    Monday, October 3, 2016 11:00 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

My question is related to federation flow:

1. When a Skype Online user tries to contact a federated domain, this traffic will flow through On-Prem Edges?

2. what about in the other way (federated to Skype Online user)?

Monday, October 3, 2016 11:05 AM
  • That is correct the federation DNS should be pointing to onpremise edge servers 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205403.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Monday, October 3, 2016 12:21 PM
  • I know that DNS records must point to On-Premises platform..........I know that.

My question is regarding traffic flow (sip, webconf, etc).,...

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:27 PM
  • Hi

the flow always hits your edge server on the inbound direction and your edge server will just modify the record route to go to Office 365 and will show in the SIP trace in the VIA header for SIP

For TCP this will be a redirect and for UDP this will be negotiated via ICE, STUN and TURN to go direct to the client so AV interface not touched.

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:39 PM
  • And what about traffic from Skype for Business Online user when communicates with a federated partner? Traffic traverses On-Premises Edge?
    Monday, October 3, 2016 1:45 PM
  • Inbound

PARTNER -> ON PREM EDGE -> SKYPE ONLINE FED GATEWAY -> SFB ONLINE USER

Outbound

SFB ONLINE USER -> SKYPE ONLINE FED GATEWAY -> PARTNER'S EDGE -> PARTNER

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:51 PM
  • Deleted
    Monday, October 3, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Great test,

So, can we confirm that Skype Online users DOES NOT use On-Premise Edge server??

Monday, October 3, 2016 2:55 PM