none
Restrict Internet Explorer settings for Standard Users ONLY RRS feed

• Question

• HI I have some people taking the mik with internet usage.  I know how to stop a the browser history from being deleted and stop access to elements of the internet options via GPEDIT however it is a pain that i have to alter these settings so i can alter things via my admin account.  Is there a way of for example stoping standard users ONLY from deleting the browser history? But still allowing the option for an admin user?
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is there a way of for example stoping standard users ONLY from deleting the browser history? But still allowing the option for an admin user?

You apply the GPO settings to either

The Machine - (applies to all user accounts on that machine) GPedit.msc>Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer

or

the User Account - applies to the current user account -

GPedit.msc>Local Computer Policy>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer

It would appear that you have applied the browser history settings in GPO to the Machine hive and so those settings are applied to all user Windows accounts.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by sb787878 Friday, February 2, 2018 11:32 AM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 12:21 AM

All replies

• Hi sb787878,

You can create a GPO to prevent deleting the browser history

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349812.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

in both Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\ and User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\:
    • Turn off “Delete Browsing History” Functionality

You cannot disable for the user and enable it for the administrator but in any case you can delete it manually by browsing to the path below and delete the content

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon

Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Is there a way of for example stoping standard users ONLY from deleting the browser history? But still allowing the option for an admin user?

You apply the GPO settings to either

The Machine - (applies to all user accounts on that machine) GPedit.msc>Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer

or

the User Account - applies to the current user account -

GPedit.msc>Local Computer Policy>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer

It would appear that you have applied the browser history settings in GPO to the Machine hive and so those settings are applied to all user Windows accounts.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by sb787878 Friday, February 2, 2018 11:32 AM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 12:21 AM