Can anyone tell why MS cannot correctly assign ID to hard drives as what a user really wants??? RRS feed

• Question

• I hav been suffered by this issue 4 ages....

My spec:
    AMD 4600+
    ASUS A8N-E nForce
    Kingston DDR400 1G*4
    WD Raptor 74G*2 RAID 0 (SATA1, 2)
    Seagate 7200.9 160G (SATA 3)
    Hitachi 500G (SATA 4)

Couple of months ago, when I was installing Vista Business 32 onto my machine, I found that the RAID drive which is the one I wanna Vista 2 be installed on was recognized by DISK 2, although they r linked to SATA 1, 2 ports and supposed to be labled by DISK 0. Seagate 160G was on SATA 3, however, was recognized as DISK 0.

That brought disaster to me!! Because in installation environment, even though the RAID drive I put the system on was marked as E (as it is recognized as DISK 2 rather than 0), it could still be marked back to C: instead of E: after my Vista has successfully accomplished.

Nevertheless,  nightmare started  once my system was corrupt and had to be recovered couple of days ago.

While after I booted into the PE thru the Vista installation disc, I chose the one for completely recovery, which can pick up the WindowsBackupImage folder (created and stored in D: drive) and drop it back. However, I found that this, CAN ONLY BE DROPPED BACK TO C: DRIVE. Because in the PE, C: drive was no longer the C: drive I wanna have my image to recover back, but at this moment E: drive is, as long as it is the RAID drive which I actually used to have the OS on.

Can anyone give any comments?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thx in advance!
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 11:19 AM