none
inserted project files not lined to file RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a new file that contains data from 2 separate .mpp files.  I am using MSOP 2003 standard. 

I try to insert these files by selecting insert, project and selecting the files and deselecting link to project check box.  When I look at these files my timephased data is skewed.  The hours spreads seem to be getting manipulated from the original file.  Is there some setting that I need to check?

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi again,

I'm sorry, I wasn't clearer.  When you go to Tools > Change Working time, is the working time definition the same in both the newly created file as well as the old files.  For example;  by default the working times are 08:00 to 12:00, 13:00 to 17:00 if the project is using the Standard calendar.  When you insert the projects into a new project without retaining links, the calendar definition (working time) does not come over.

As far as the shift in start dates, what is the start date of the newly created project -- it needs to be the earliest of any of your existing tasks.

I'm also a mite concerned about your comment "the tasking is set up without predecessors/successors" -- are all tasks scheduled to start on the start date of the project or have you entered dates?

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by 'timephased data is skewed"?  Is the calendar and day definition the same between the two files? 
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Hi Julie,

It has been awhile since I have talked with you.

The calendars are set the same to display Years and months.  What is happening is that the overall total hours are correct however when the projects are inserted into the new blank file project redistributes the hours on some tasks.  I know I must have something off on these tasks.  For instance one of the inserted projects tasks should start in Aug 2011, however when inserted into the new file it shift right to a new start date.  The second project file is totally shifted to the right by 2 months.  the tasking is set up without predecessor/successors and are fixed work without constraints.

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Hi again,

I'm sorry, I wasn't clearer.  When you go to Tools > Change Working time, is the working time definition the same in both the newly created file as well as the old files.  For example;  by default the working times are 08:00 to 12:00, 13:00 to 17:00 if the project is using the Standard calendar.  When you insert the projects into a new project without retaining links, the calendar definition (working time) does not come over.

As far as the shift in start dates, what is the start date of the newly created project -- it needs to be the earliest of any of your existing tasks.

I'm also a mite concerned about your comment "the tasking is set up without predecessors/successors" -- are all tasks scheduled to start on the start date of the project or have you entered dates?

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:23 PM