none
nonexistent workstation name still resolves in DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we have an AD domain and a few weeks ago I reimaged a workstation with the name of W01 using MDT and during reimaging I renamed it to W02. I can still ping the workstation using either W01 or W02 and it resolves to the same ip address. I have looked in DNS and there are no entries for W01.

When I perform an nslookup for the A record of W01 I get a "can't find W01: Non-existent domain."

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Jose

Monday, August 29, 2016 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you ping with host name or FQDN?Host name may resolved by NetBIOS.Please try to disable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP and test again.

tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by krakatao Friday, September 2, 2016 2:48 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 3:06 AM

All replies

• On the machine which can still ping either W01 or W02, look inside the \Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file for a line with W01 and remove it.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:26 AM
  • Hi,

As Todd mentioned,hosts file is one thing you need to check.

In addition,please try to clear the cache on client and server.Client side:Run 'ipconfig /flushdns' in CMD.Server side:DNS manager=>Right click on your server=>clear cache.

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:26 AM
  • Hi Todd, that was one of the first things I checked. I can ping from any host. Every host I have pinged from does not have the entry in the hosts file.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Hi Cartman, I also tried flushing the dns cache in both dns manager and cmd prompt, but can still ping W01.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

Did you ping with host name or FQDN?Host name may resolved by NetBIOS.Please try to disable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP and test again.

tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by krakatao Friday, September 2, 2016 2:48 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 3:06 AM
  • Thank you Cartman. The problem was wins. We still have a wins server I forgot about. I cleared the wins database and the problem was resolved.
    Friday, September 2, 2016 2:48 PM