none
Task with no start variance, a positive finish variance but no duration variance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I wonder if you can shed some light on this for me please?

I have a task with no start variance, a positive finish variance but no duration variance.  Should I not see a duration variance as the task finished (but didn't start) later than baselined?

Thanks

Jo

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Jo,

Request you to close the thread if you feel the query is answered.

Regards,

Atul, MCTS

• Marked as answer by joday48 Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:48 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Jo

This is most likely because you have split the task after your baselined. Please note Duration is the active time you spend on a task not elapsed time. That means if you split a task ( meaning that you dont work on this task during a certain time) it is possible to have a finish variance but no duration variance.

I hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Marc, thank you for clarifying this for me. 

So I would like to report how many days late a task finished, would you say the best way to do this is to use the finish variance field?  Or is there a better way?

As a whole I would like to report how many days late tasks finished, but if they started late they will generally finish late, is there an easy way to report days late without manually working it out if a task also started later than planned?

Your advice would be much appreciated, thank you

Jo

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi Jo,

To represent how late a task finished, using the finish variance column would be a fair option because it gives you the delay with respect to the timelines, in terms of start and end dates of the task, whereas the duration variance would give you and idea with respect to the number of days you spent on the (not man hours or effort). So if you wish to monitor how late a task finished with respect to the dates, you should be using the finish variance field, whereas if you wish to monitor how much extra time you spent on a task (in terms of days), you should be using the duration variance field. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Atul, MCTS

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Hi Joday,

If you want to report how many days late a task finished, it would be fair to use the Finish Variance field as it clearly represents the delay in the end date of the task i.e, how late a task finished, wrt to the planned finish date. The duration variance field on other hand gives information about how much more total time (in terms of days) was taken to complete a task as against the planned timeframe. For timelines of any task that is created, there can be three angles - the start & end dates, the duration & the effort. Therefore to represent late finish, finish variance would be the column best suited, for more days consumed, duration variance would be used.

Regards,

Atul, MCTS

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Atul

Thank you so much for being so precise in your answer.  I had started to get completely confused.  What you have stated above is exactly what I am after.  Days late for a task,  and more days worked than planned!

Thanks for all your hep

Jo

Friday, August 10, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi Jo

Yes I think the finish variance tells you best how many days you are late in comparission to your baseline.

Hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:44 PM
  • Hi Jo,

Request you to close the thread if you feel the query is answered.

Regards,

Atul, MCTS

• Marked as answer by joday48 Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:48 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 6:27 AM