Is there a way to enable more indepth logging? RRS feed

• Question

• The most common issue I run into is the "Network Policy Server denied access to a user" with a reason of "The connection attempt did not match any network policy."  As far as I can tell I do have a policy setup for this exact user (workstation), however, nothing seems to make it work.  I've had it where all I have to do is reboot the server then the workstation works, however that doesn't work all the time.  In any case, is there a way to enable logging so it gives me more information in order to help me troubleshoot this?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Gunnar,

I believe you already looked at the even viewer to see what the NPS has logged in there. You can enable tracing to get into details on what NPS is doing, You have to give the following command "netsh ras set tr * en". Once you do this, NPS will log all the tracing information under c:\windows\tracing.

Thanks,
    Srinivasulu.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, September 21, 2009 1:02 AM
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:17 AM

All replies

• BTW: The only that I've been able to do that is helpful in this regard is to use tail.exe on the C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\IN0909.log file.  This is somewhat helpful but was wondering if there was something more.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Hi Gunnar,

I believe you already looked at the even viewer to see what the NPS has logged in there. You can enable tracing to get into details on what NPS is doing, You have to give the following command "netsh ras set tr * en". Once you do this, NPS will log all the tracing information under c:\windows\tracing.

Thanks,
    Srinivasulu.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, September 21, 2009 1:02 AM
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Thank you!
    Monday, September 21, 2009 2:16 PM