Microsoft Exchange 2003 Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!! I am using a small business 2003 server with Microsoft exchange 2003!! Both of them are fully updated to their newest versions!! However I am having a problem!! When I am trying to send an email from a PC in our domain to a specific external server it doesn't reach and I am getting this error message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
    Sent: 2/6/2015 10:17

The following recipients cannot be reached:

*** Email address is removed for privacy *** on 2/6/2015 10:16
    The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security policy in force <ipa237.225.tellas.gr #5.7.0smtp;550 5.7.0 550 Your server IP address

[my address] does not have a valid reverse DNS entry [ipa237.225.tellas.gr].

I tried to send an email to that address using Hotmail and it reached the destination!!! any ideas?

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:23 AM

Answers

• It sounds like you need a reverse DNS entry for your server added to your public DNS records.  Your ISP will normally do this for you.

http://mxtoolbox.com/problem/smtp/smtp-reverse-dns-resolution

OWA For SmartPhone

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 11:01 AM
  • Of course. By ISP, I mean whoever it is that supplies your internet connection. They are responsible for certain pieces of information about your connection, an obvious one is telling you what your IP address is. Another one is providing a sort of reverse pointer telling the rest of the world that the IP address belongs to your domain. Some email systems use this to make sure that your email is coming from a genuine source, and will reject your messages if this 'reverse DNS' mechanism isn't in place. It's something we all need to do. You just ring them up, and tell them you need reverse DNS configuring for your domain.

OWA For SmartPhone

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:17 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you need a reverse DNS entry for your server added to your public DNS records.  Your ISP will normally do this for you.

http://mxtoolbox.com/problem/smtp/smtp-reverse-dns-resolution

OWA For SmartPhone

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 11:01 AM
  • My e-mails are being managed locally with the exchange server!! I don't have an ISP to host the e-mails!! Sorry if I am not understanding correctly. I am new to the whole IT business!! Can you please provide some more details?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Of course. By ISP, I mean whoever it is that supplies your internet connection. They are responsible for certain pieces of information about your connection, an obvious one is telling you what your IP address is. Another one is providing a sort of reverse pointer telling the rest of the world that the IP address belongs to your domain. Some email systems use this to make sure that your email is coming from a genuine source, and will reject your messages if this 'reverse DNS' mechanism isn't in place. It's something we all need to do. You just ring them up, and tell them you need reverse DNS configuring for your domain.

OWA For SmartPhone

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:17 PM
  • Thank you very much!! I didn't think of that!! I thought I needed to go in the DNS and make alterations but there is no need!! thanks a lot!! you are a life savior!! :D So should I call them and ask them to configure the reverse DNS for my server address?
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Hello again.........I called my provider and asked them to make the reverse DNS of my server's IP point to the Fully qualified domain name of the Host (A) mail file of my DNS. Still I get the same message!!!
    Monday, June 8, 2015 3:26 PM
  • It's possible that these things take a while to propagate.

If you try the mxtoolbox site, does it think you have RDNS now?

OWA For SmartPhone

Monday, June 8, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Yes it does!!! Also I used the same site before and showed that I had ipa237.225.tellas.gr as my reverse DNS!! Now it shows the new entry that I have!!
    Monday, June 8, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Does the error message you get back specifically say that there is no reverse DNS?

This

http://mxtoolbox.com/domain/ipa237.225.tellas.gr/

only says that there is no spf record, and some mail systems don't like that either, so the new error message may be about spf rather than rdns.

Or, the domain you are sending to may just be taking a long time to catch up with the changes.

OWA For SmartPhone

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:07 PM
  • Yes the error message is the same and shows that there is no reverse DNS!!  Do I need to make any configuration on the server? 
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:39 AM
  • I don't think there's anything you can do on your server that will help. You have done all that is normally required, which is ask your ISP to setup the RDNS for you. If you send a message today, and still get the same error, then I think we can discount any propagation delay issues. I think you would then have to get your send connector to relay through your ISP's SMTP relays. Ask them if they have an SMTP relay that you can use (I've never heard of an ISP that hasn't), then configure your send connector to use it as a 'smart host'. This works because ISPs servers are considered to have a better 'reputation' (for want of a better word) than their customers' servers, and most smaller companies will configure their servers to do this.

OWA For SmartPhone

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:53 AM
  • Do you mean using a smart host at the advanced Delivery tab of the Default SMTP Virtual server properties inside the protocols of the routing groups?? Or to create a new connector and and make all outgoing mails go through there?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 11:03 AM
  • I don't have E2003 anymore, but it sounds like you're looking in the right place.  I'd forgotten that they were called Virtual Servers in E2003 (they changed the name to 'Send Connector' in later versions). Don't create a new one, just change the one you have. It will say something like 'forward all mail to the following smart host'.

Edit:

I forgot to add that if you have an SPF record for your domain, you'll need to add the smart host as a valid source for your outgoing email.  If you don't have an SPF record, then obviously you won't need to do anything to it.

OWA For SmartPhone

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 11:23 AM
  • I am going to try it tomorrow!! but wouldn't that make communication with email from clients inside the domain slower?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:55 PM
  • It doesn't usually. Exchange seems to be clever enough to know that it shouldn't route them to the outside world.

OWA For SmartPhone

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:34 PM
  • Ok!! Thanks a lot!! I'll give it a shot tomorrow and I will let you know
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Hello!! So I went to my server and added to the connector the smarthost address I used an open source smatrthost in order to try it following this link:

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1057074.aspx

Now I can't send any mails (even inside my domain) and get this error message:

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

info@kekdei.gr on 11/6/2015 11:33

You do not have permission to send to this recipient.  For assistance, contact your system administrator.

<ipa237.225.tellas.gr #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 <info@kekdei.gr>: Recipient address rejected: NO-DOMAIN.>

Thursday, June 11, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Did you use the same smarthost name given in the article? I don't think you'll be allowed to connect to that. They would have to be crazy to put up a mail server and let anyone in the world relay through it :-)  In general, the only smart host you can use is one provided by your ISP.  It's supposed to be part of the service they provide.

For the inside your own domain emails, in your internal DNS, did you create an MX record that points to your own Exchange server (you should)?

OWA For SmartPhone

Thursday, June 11, 2015 9:32 AM
  • Finally FIXED!!! I honestly don't know what happened.... When I saw that the smarthost above doesn't work I restored everything to the previous state!!! I restarted the services SMTP and Microsoft exchange routing engine and EVERYTHING is working fine now!!! no NDR's and all emails are properly delivered!!! :D 

Thursday, June 11, 2015 9:48 AM
  • That's great news. But the original NDR definitely complained about the lack of RDNS. I think that today, it's finally discovered that you now have one, and that you didn't need the smart host after all.

But whatever the reason, well done on fixing it :-)

OWA For SmartPhone

Thursday, June 11, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Thank you very much for your help all these days!! I appreciate it!!!
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 10:16 AM