none
Project Standard 2013 'The File Cannot be Opened' RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Standard 2013 and have been doing so since 2013. Last week it suddenly started coming up with the following error message when I try to save a project and update the associated shared resource pool:

The file cannot be opened.

Check that the file name and path are correct

Check that the file format is recognized by Project

Project files saved in a version earlier than Microsoft Project 2000 can't be opened.'

I have only ever used this version, no earlier versions. I have tried to repair the application through the update/re-install process. 

The projects save but do not appear in the resource pool unless both files are open. Some projects are still linked to the resource pool and show in it even if they are not open. This is now happening with all files when I try to save them. Sometimes it says:

'The resource pool is read only, do you want to save a copy'

Even if I click 'no' a copy appears which I can't close and I have to force quit the application.

Help.

Friday, March 13, 2015 1:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Howannoyingisthis,

It sounds like you have a corrupted resource pool file.  My suggestion is:

1. Open the pool file read/write.
    2. Disconnect each of the sharer files from the pool by opening the sharer file and from Resource Sharing select, use own resources.
    3. Save the sharer file and save the pool.
    4. Repeat steps two and three until there are no files connected to the pool.
    5. Open a blank project and one of the sharer files.  If you have used a customized calendar, copy the calendar from the sharer file to the blank file using the Organizer.
    6. Save the blank file.  It will become your new pool file.
    7. Display the Resource sheet view in both files.  From the sharer file, choose Resource Pool, Share Resource and share resources from the blank project.  This will copy the resources from the Sharer file to the blank project.
    8. Repeat the process with each sharer file to re-build the pool file.

To help maintain the files correct, never move, copy, or delete a file connected to the pool without first disconnecting the file from the pool file.

To your comment "Some projects are still linked to the resource pool and show in it even if they are not open. This is now happening with all files when I try to save them."  Assignments from all files will show in the pool file and sharer files even if the sharer files are not open.

I hope this helps.

Friday, March 13, 2015 1:25 PM
  • I've also tried opening the resource pool read-write. That worked for about 5 minutes when saving projects. Now it won't let me save my project without saving the resource pool first. When I try to save the resource pool, I get the same error message:

The file cannot be opened.

Check that the file name and path are correct

Check that the file format is recognized by Project

Project files saved in a version earlier than Microsoft Project 2000 can't be opened.'

Wendy

Friday, March 13, 2015 2:21 PM
  • Hi Wendy,

Are you trying to follow the steps I outlined?  I'm guessing the file is stored on a network drive?

Friday, March 13, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Thanks - I can't try it at the moment as I am carrying out another re-installation to see if that worked. I will try your suggestion as soon as I am back up and running.

Wendy

Friday, March 13, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Please also make sure you re-installation has the latest updates:

At a minimum - Service Pack 1

I also suggest the latest public update.  See:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp13.aspx

Friday, March 13, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Thank you. It took a while but seems to be ok now. Many thanks!

Wendy

Friday, March 13, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Great.  I'm glad it is solved.  You may still wish to consider re-building your pool file.
    Friday, March 13, 2015 6:14 PM
  • Hello, 

Are there any easier ways to deal with this or potentially a MS project server that does not have these major issues? 

Thanks, 
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Nick-SLP --

The shared resource pool feature of Microsoft Project is a very old feature in the software.  As you have noted in this thread, the shared resource pool file feature can be pretty unstable as well.  In the Microsoft PPM solution (Project Online or Project Server), Microsoft provides a very stable enterprise resource pool instead.  In addition, the Microsoft PPM solution provides massive benefits as well for reporting, team collaboration, etc.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, June 16, 2017 2:31 PM