none
Highlight RRS feed

• Question

• When I change a cell, for example changing Duration from 5 to 10; I want it to highlight the changed cell and keep it highlighted. Using Text Styles only highlights until you go do something else. I was going to save a baseline (Baseline10) prior to weekly updating and do comparisons after updating by highlighting the cells that are different. The problem is that not all the fields we update are contained in in the Baseline fields.

I thought about writing a macro or VBA, but am not really well versed in either. I am not sure a macro could do it anyway. Ideally, I would like to have the highlight show up immediately, rather than running something after updates; though that is acceptable.

Any version of Project 2007, 2010, 2013 is fine.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:34 PM

All replies

• sdacl,

Yes something could be done using VBA to highlight all changes but I have a better suggestion. Use the Compare Projects utility found under Project/Reports group on the ribbon of Project 2010. I assume it is in the same place in Project 2013 but I don't have that version. Although the utility does exist for Project 2007 there were major functional issues with it until they were fixed with the release of Project 2010.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Thanks, I have used it; but it is not a good fit here. If you have some VBA code, I am experienced enough to tailor it. Thanks
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:30 PM
  • sdacl,

You're welcome. The only VBA code I have for this is a compare macro I wrote many years ago. It pre-dated the Compare Projects utility that Microsoft first added to Project 2000. My macro compared two versions of a file and highlighted changes in both versions (e.g. added tasks and changed fields in the later version and tasks deleted in the original version). However, that macro is not available for public release. Sorry.

John

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Thanks. That would not work for me either. I am trying to do this within the project; preferably when they make a change, or as a single effort after all the changes are made.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:24 PM
  • sdacl,

Well, the macro I mentioned does a "single effort after all the changes are made", and the change highlighting feature shows changes on the fly, so I'm not quite sure what you are looking for.

John

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:10 PM
  • I do not want 2 projects involved. Thanks
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:51 PM
  • sdacl,

Okay, then it's a matter or writing a macro that uses change Events to set the formatting. That's a little more complex and typically change events trigger on any change, but I haven't really used them extensively so maybe they are a little more "friendly" then I remember.

One other thought I had. You mentioned that some of the fields you update are not captured in a baseline. What fields are those? Perhaps you could use extra text, number, cost, etc. fields to capture the starting point data (i.e. before changes) and then use them along with the baseline fields for a comparison after changes are done. That comparison would then be the basis for highlighting changes, in the current file. This approach would avoid the complexity of using change Events. The VBA code for this should be fairly straightforward and I could potentially give you the framework for that macro, depending on the field of interest.

John

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:37 PM
  • John,

Actuals are not in the baseline fields. I will check out change events. Even as we speak I am looking at customized fields.

Thanks,

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:09 PM
  • sdacl,

If you haven't checked already, you may find the following article helpful in understand Events.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee355232(v=office.12).aspx

John

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:53 PM