Lync/SfB deployment with 2 paired SE FE - external traffic balancing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a question regarding a deployment I am currently planning. If I choose to deploy 2 Standard edition frontend servers and pair them to provide resiliency (so I will have 50 percent users on server 1 and the other half on server 2), how will the edge server divide external traffic, if only one node can be selected as next hop (since I cant have a pool with its own ip in this case)?

Will the traffic only go to the frontend selected as next hop, or will the servers split it somehow? If only one server will be involved in the external traffic, wouldnt it be creating extra load on one node while the other one stays "idle"?

Thank you for clarification,

Tomas

Sunday, August 26, 2018 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Tomas,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regard,
    Evan
    • Marked as answer by TomasCrha Friday, December 7, 2018 10:05 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Tomas,

You can associate two SE FE servers with same edge server, as you said, you can only configure one next hop pool in Lync/SFB Topology, this is by default. If you set the next hop pool as the SE01, the traffic also goes to the SE02, next hop SE01 will redirect the connection for SE02 users.

According to your topology, you need to notice about the following: if the next hop pool is down, you need to manually change the topology. I found a similar case as your environment, you could refer to it:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/fa2d5b45-e1ec-487f-81be-1e7a7818cb90/two-front-end-with-one-edge-server?forum=lyncdeploy 

Best Regard,
    Evan
    • Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Monday, August 27, 2018 8:34 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 2:22 AM
  • Hello,

many thanks for your answer. If you would be so kind I have another question - what are the rules for pairing Standar edition servers? My concern is that I have slightly more users than the recommended maximum for Standard edition (lets say around 5500), and I need to use virtual machines - is it okay to deploy 3 standrad edition frontends and split users between them, or do I need to add another pair (so 4 servers in total) to make this work? 

Thank you,

Tomas

Monday, August 27, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

When you plan which pools to pair, you must keep in mind that only the following pairings are supported:
    1. Enterprise Edition pools can be paired only with other Enterprise Edition pools. Similarly, Standard Edition pools can be paired only with other Standard Edition pools.
    2. Physical pools can be paired only with other physical pools. Similarly, virtual pools can be paired only with other virtual pools.
    3. Pools that are paired together must be running the same operating system.
    You could refer to the following official document find more details:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204697(v=ocs.15).aspx 

According to your description, I suggest you could deploy two Enterprise pools and do the pairing, this is a better way. You could also associate two Enterprise pools with same Edge Sever, the practice is same as the SE Server

Best Regard,
    Evan
    • Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:17 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 8:04 AM
  • Okay, thank you for your answer - but is it actually possible to "pair" (or better word would be group) 3 SE FE as resilient servers for each other, or it is possible only in pairs (so 2 - 2 )?

Can you please explain briefly why Enterprise edition would be better in this case? Because I was under impression that it is easier to deploy SE so I am evaluating which options I have.

Many thanks,

Tomas

Monday, August 27, 2018 8:11 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

You can’t do pairing between 3 SEs , the pairing is only for each other. 

About the differences between Skype for Business Standard and Enterprise Edition, you could refer to the following link:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-IT-Pro/What-are-the-differences-between-skype-for-business-standard-and/td-p/78047 

According to your description, there’re about 5500 users in your environment, and you want to do the High Availability and Disaster Recovery. It is better to use Enterprise Edition as Standard Edition doesn’t allow for High Availability within a single datacenter, and if the user numbers in your environment are added, you may face many troubles if you deploy Standard Edition. Enterprise Edition has better scalability and High Availability than Standard Edition. 

Best Regard,
    Evan
    • Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Monday, August 27, 2018 8:34 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 8:34 AM
  • Okay, thank you - you helped me a lot to expand my understanding about the topic. Just to make things even more clear - so if I choose to deploy 3 SE servers indivudually without any pairing, I will have a possibility to home approximately 5000 users on each server, but without any possibility of failover in case the server goes down. Also, there will have to be separate edge server for each "standalone" frontend, since the servers will have no kind of relation in topology. Is that correct?

Monday, August 27, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

You could also associate the SE servers with same edge server if all the SE servers in the same topology. As you said, so if I choose to deploy 3 SE servers indivudually without any pairing, if the servers go down, it will not failover.

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Monday, August 27, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Okay, many thanks for now:)
    Monday, August 27, 2018 12:44 PM
  • Hi Tomas,

If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:28 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Friday, August 31, 2018 2:24 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

Best Regard,
    Evan
    • Marked as answer by TomasCrha Friday, December 7, 2018 10:05 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 5:57 AM