none
3 node hyper-v 2016 cluster with virtual DC - Start-Cluster problems

Question

• Good day, 

I have a 3 node S2D-Win2016+Hyper-V cluster. And the Domain Controller is a VM.

Everything works fine (moving, maintenance,etc) unless I decide to shutdown the cluster and poweroff the nodes for whatever reason. When I turn on the nodes, the cluster does not come up (but the CSVs do). And the reason is simple: the DC is not running.

So I have to manually go to Hyper-V manager on any node, import from the CSV the DC folder with the VM data and start the VM. Then go to poweshell and do Start-Cluster. Then all is working fine.

What is the recommended procedure to auto-start a DC Virtual machine so the cluster can come up automatically?

Or is this by design and the startup must be manual?

Thanks,

Sunday, April 23, 2017 7:05 PM

Answers

• Domain controllers should be non-HA and on local storage. In fact, each node should have its own local domain controller. The licensing cost is the same and AD replication is better than failover clustering for DCs, so there aren't any downsides.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Monday, April 24, 2017 1:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by ErickPH Monday, April 24, 2017 2:41 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 1:44 PM

All replies

• Domain controllers should be non-HA and on local storage. In fact, each node should have its own local domain controller. The licensing cost is the same and AD replication is better than failover clustering for DCs, so there aren't any downsides.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Monday, April 24, 2017 1:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by ErickPH Monday, April 24, 2017 2:41 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 1:44 PM
  • Eric is completely right. We always set it up this way for our customers. Depending on the number of hosts (minimum two) we set up a primary DC on the first host located locally and started as soon as the host starts. And a secondary one on the second host. The decision whether to create more DCs is completely up to you. I would also recommend you to set a startup dependency (or delay) for your cluster service to ensure that cluster service starts only after at least one DC virtual machine is up and running. As soon as you have these requirements met you will be fine.

Here is a short explanation from our knowledgebase on that matter: https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware.com/explanation/advice-on-how-to-place-a-domain-controller-in-case-of-starwind-virtual-san-usage/

Best regards,

Taras Shved

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIN:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:28 AM