WSUS 3.0 does manual synchronization every hour RRS feed

• Question

• I have WSUS set to do a scheduled synchronization once a day and it does this but it also does a manual synchronization every hour.  My guess is that FCS is doing this synchronization but I have the FCS policy set to:

• Check for updates before starting a scan, and
    • Check for updates at set interval (hours): 6

So I am baffled as to why these manual synchronizations are taking place.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:22 AM

All replies

• Ron,

Did you install the Distribution role on the WSUS 3.0?

One of the things the distribution role does is set sync wiht MS update every hour which is the recomended setting.

The distribution role does not have to be installed on WSUS 3.0 because the nesecary settings are available out-of-the-box (however, it does no harm).

/Johan

Saturday, May 17, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Check for updates before starting a scan, and
  • Check for updates at set interval (hours): 6
  • So those 2 settings are client side and not server side in the FCS policies that you are pushing to the clients.  We can release definition updates I believe anywhere from 4-20 times or so a day but don't hold me to that :).  The WSUS server daily sync would not keep up with getting those new definition updates which is why there is a helper process to get the WSUS server to sync more frequently specifically for FCS updates so that they are available when the clients need them.

CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response)
Friday, May 30, 2008 3:03 PM
  •  

Kurt Falde - MSFT said:

We can release definition updates I believe anywhere from 4-20 times or so a day but don't hold me to that :).  The WSUS server daily sync would not keep up with getting those new definition updates which is why there is a helper process to get the WSUS server to sync more frequently specifically for FCS updates so that they are available when the clients need them.

Is there a way to control this interval?  I am running a branch office network.  Our primary internet connection has proven unreliable over the last few weeks.  Our backup internet is limited both in the immediate sense of its capabilities and in the sense that the provider becomes irked if the usage is excessive.

I'd like to be able to control the WSUS update times (even for FCS) more finely than this.  For example, given our user base (we are software developers) and that our e-mail is virus scanned at the edge, there is no pressing requirement for hourly updates to FCS.  Daily updates would be more than sufficient.

Friday, September 5, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Hello!
    Yes, you can configure the WSUS 3.0 sync time directly from the console.  It allows you to set an interval from 1-24 times/day. 

Thanks
    Chris
    Forefront Client Security PM
    Chris Sfanos / Forefront PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 5:09 PM