I cannot run chkdsk on my Vista Premier laptop RRS feed

• Question

•  

My weekly backup's started failing, due to file corruption.  So I set dskchk to run the next time I started my computer.  CHKDSK doesn't run on boot up.  Using my working account on the computer (part of the Admin group).  I cannot run chkdsk because I don't have elevated priviledges.  Using the Admin account it can't find the program to run.

Starting the computer in the safe mode with a command window I can run chkdsk without the "/F" and it runs for a bit and stops because of corrupt files.

How do I fix this so I can fix this disk?

Thanks,

Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:35 PM

All replies

• I had a similar problem with my wife's Dell XPS M1330.  From what I found on other sites, getting chkdsk to run on a laptop is a problem.  Even when requested, it doesn't seem to run at restart on many systems, including my wife's.  Dell, as do most manufacturers, doesn't inlcude the Microsoft VISTA install disk which would allow one to use the recovery console.  However, I did finally try running my Dell supplied Reinstallation DVD for Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit.  A few screens into running this DVD after booting from it, it offers, among other selections, to let the user select going to a command prompt.  I was able to run chkdsk c: /f from there and fix the problem on the laptop.  I ran it more than once until I had a "clean" run with no errors fixed.  On this Dell system, you reboot the system and press F12 when the Dell logo comes up to select boot device options.  One of the options is CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive.  Highlight that option and press <Enter>.  Using F12 only changes the boot device for the current boot, not permanently.  As with the Dell Reinstallation DVD, I suspect other manufacturers provide a sequence of screens with options before actually reinstalling the operating system.  Hope this is helpful to others, I found many sites with questions on how to do this but none with this information over the several hours I worked on the problem.  I had already backed up my wife's data in preparation for a reinstall and all the hassle that is.
    • Proposed as answer by bobrengr Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:21 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Thanks bobrengr.  I have an xps1330 and have had trouble running chkdsk.  Your solution worked for me.

Friday, May 15, 2009 2:51 PM