WDS problem and question RRS feed

• Question

Im getting this error on the properties box for my WDS server. I was wondering how to get around this or if there is a group policy setup restricting me. I am new to this environment so I have limited access. When I try and un check "require administrator for unknown computers" it says "Acess Denied"

Also when I boot up my xp machine and it starts the PXE boot on the WDS server when I accept the install it says

Pending device "Access Denied"

Do I need to create a boot image for server2008 used for the servers and vista boot image used for vista,xp and windows 7?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Im getting this error on the properties box for my WDS server. I was wondering how to get around this or if there is a group policy setup restricting me. I am new to this environment so I have limited access. When I try and un check "require administrator for unknown computers" it says "Acess Denied"

A: The “Access Denied” error indicates lack of permissions.

PXE response policy defines how to respond to client network boot requests, is stored on the server’s SCP. Configuring these settings requires read and write permissions to the SCP object.

To grant permissions to the SCP object:

1.    Open Active Directory Users and Computers.

2.    Click View, and then click Advanced Features (if it is not already enabled).

3.    Right click the computer account for you Windows Deployment Services server, and click Properties.

4.    On the Remote Install tab, select Advanced Settings…

5.    Select the Security tab, and click Add…

6.    Select your account, and then select Full Control on this object.

Can you uncheck “Require administrator approval for unknown computers.” Now?

2. Also when I boot up my xp machine and it starts the PXE boot on the WDS server when I accept the install it says

Pending device "Access Denied"

A: The “Access Denied” error indicates lack of permissions.

To select an install image, you need to type the credentials. The credentials provided in the user interface must be those of a domain account. After a client has between authenticated to the Windows Deployment Services server, the authenticated user must be able to read the install .wim file and Res.rwm file from the RemoteInstall folder. By default, authenticated users have permissions to do so.

3. Do I need to create a boot image for server2008 used for the servers and vista boot image used for vista,xp and windows 7?

A: You do not need to do that. I recommend creating a Windows server 2008 (non-R2) 32bit boot image. You can use it to deploy almost all operating systems.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, February 12, 2010 7:47 AM