Unable to remove MUI's RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot install SP1 for Windows Vista because it complains of language packs with which it is not compatible. I tried the control panel route to remove all languages except English and all of them fail, complaining of some LIP dependency. I tried lpksetup /u for all language packs and nothing works, it fails to remove the pack.

This is really starting to upset me. I can't find any evidence of how to force removal of an MUI or LIP.
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:17 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

For this issue, you can refer to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?siteid=17&PostID=3079550

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:51 AM
  • That is not the solution. I don't have a partially installed language pack that needs to be fixed, and I have an OEM installation with no DVD.

What I need is the instructions to force the removal of a language pack, not to perform a new installation necessitating the installation of a zillion Windows Updates all over again. Telling me to "upgrade" the entire O/S to fix this issue is the wrong solution.

Monday, April 7, 2008 6:29 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the time and effort you invested on this issue.

The possible solution for removing the language packs is to install KB947506.

If these language packs have not been installed for a long time, you can restore the system to a state before they were installed.

In addition, you can back up your important files, restore the system to its factory settings and then install Windows Vista SP1.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:02 AM
  • KB945706 is not the solution. Neither is having to back up my files and reinstalling Windows. That is completely absurd. I need a solution that shows me how to force removal of MUI's, and I don't mean having to take a hammer to the whole thing, smashing it into little pieces and then rebuilding it from scratch.

If you don't know the correct answer please escalate this to the next technical knowledge level.

Juan Jimenez

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:42 PM
  •  

Hi Juan,

Thank you for the reply.

Usually there are two reasons why this might occur:

1.    The language you are trying to remove is the system language. The system language is the default language of the user interface. The system language cannot be removed.

2.    To work properly, other languages on your computer require the language you are trying to remove. This is the case with Language Pack Interface (LIP) languages and their parent languages. You must remove a LIP before or at the same time that you remove its parent languages.

For more information about this issue, you can refer to the following articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925471/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947876/en-us

Currently, if you default system language is English, I suggest selecting all language packs except English in Control Panel\Install/uninstall languages and removing them.

If any error message appears, please let me know the exact wording of the error message.

In addition, System Restore can be an easy way to uninstall these language packs.

If you prefer our telephone support service, please call us at the Windows Warranty Support number listed below. Please include your case ID, which is displayed in the subject line, so that we may more efficiently access your information.

Windows Warranty Support: (425) 635-3311

Mon-Fri 5.am - 9.pm Pacific Standard Time

Sat 5.am - 3.pm Pacific Standard Time

Sun 9.am - 3.pm Pacific Standard Time

For more information, please refer to the following site:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=11732&x=16&y=15

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:21 AM
  • R-E-A-D  T-H-E  F-I-R-S-T  M-E-S-S-A-G-E.

I already tried that and it didn't work, and I told you what happened when I tried it.

E-S-C-A-L-A-T-E this to the next level of support!

This is a MAJOR problem with Windows Vista!
    Monday, April 14, 2008 12:07 AM
  •  

Hi,

Please understand that the purpose of our forum is to discuss technical issues. Although we do not take responsibility of technical support, we moderators always try our best to provide our suggestions to customers’ issues. If you require a technical support, you can submit a case from the following site. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=11732&x=16&y=15

As for this issue, we have discussed it in our team and made the following summary:

The most efficient method to resolve this issue is to perform an In-place Upgrade installation of Windows Vista. An In-place Upgrade installation will only reinstall system files and does not affect your personal files and third-party programs. However, after performing an In-place Upgrade installation, you may need to activate the system and reinstall updates.

If you prefer to manually remove the problematic language pack, please understand we do not have a solid solution now, to troubleshoot this issue, please let us know the exact wording of the error message when uninstalling MUIs and send us the CBS.log file in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS for further research.

Here I've included the steps on how to capture a screenshot when an error message is received:

Screenshot of the error message

========================

1. When the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please upload the file to us from the following FTP site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=5d56ddff-8a81-43ac-92c5-f9da89b5a43d

Password: GFm6P[)UPP8a

If this issue is urgent, you can call us at the Windows Warranty Support. Here is the number.

Windows Warranty Support: (425) 635-3311

Mon-Fri 5.am - 9.pm Pacific Standard Time

Sat 5.am - 3.pm Pacific Standard Time

Sun 9.am - 3.pm Pacific Standard Time

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, April 18, 2008 1:24 AM
  •  FlyBD5 wrote:

This is a MAJOR problem with Windows Vista!

I agree... also the response you received from a so-called Microsoft Certified "Professional" is ridiculous. I swear half the people who are certified are illiterate.

Wish I had the answer for you as I'm going through the same issues here. However, I'm looking into stripping it directly from the Vista Installation process.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:22 PM
  • user="whistl3r"]

Wish I had the answer for you as I'm going through the same issues here. However, I'm looking into stripping it directly from the Vista Installation process.

If you are experiencing this same issue, then you are using the wrong download to install SP1.

This problem was only an issue for a short time when the first release of the downloadable version of SP1 was the 5 language installation package. This error occured because the user had a version of Vista that was in a language other than the 5 languages that the download was intended to support.

The 5 languages are:

• English
    • French
    • German
    • Japanese
    • Spanish

If you have a version of Vista, that is in a language other than one of these 5 languages, then you need to download the all language version of SP1. When you install SP1 from this download, the installation will automatically detect the installed language and only install that version of SP1.

You can get the all language download here:

Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 All Language Standalone (KB936330):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F559842A-9C9B-4579-B64A-09146A0BA746&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Ridiculous is not the word for it. Eventually I had to reinstall the entire Windows o/s, and now I have more problems with permissions and Diskpart not allowing me to shrink partitions with an "Access Denied" error. The suggestion from Support? "Use a third party tool." In other words, "Sorry, we're incompetent, deal with it."

More and more I keep reminding myself I'm dealing with the putz in a suit on the TV ads.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:45 PM
  • "This problem was only an issue for a short time when the first release of the downloadable version of SP1 was the 5 language installation package. This error occured because the user had a version of Vista that was in a language other than the 5 languages that the download was intended to support."

Yet another "MVP" with a total lack of reading skills. Wrong, wrong, wrong! I never said ANYTHING that might be even CLOSE to this.

Incompetence must be a way of life at Microsoft... <sigh>

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:47 PM
  • user="FlyBD5"]"This problem was only an issue for a short time when the first release of the downloadable version of SP1 was the 5 language installation package. This error occured because the user had a version of Vista that was in a language other than the 5 languages that the download was intended to support."

Yet another "MVP" with a total lack of reading skills. Wrong, wrong, wrong! I never said ANYTHING that might be even CLOSE to this.

Incompetence must be a way of life at Microsoft... <sigh>

FlyBD5

Here is your original message.

I cannot install SP1 for Windows Vista because it complains of language packs with which it is not compatible. I tried the control panel route to remove all languages except English and all of them fail, complaining of some LIP dependency. I tried lpksetup /u for all language packs and nothing works, it fails to remove the pack.

This is really starting to upset me. I can't find any evidence of how to force removal of an MUI or LIP.

This is the 'exact', word for word behavior that was present when the issue I described was occuring.

If you are not able to accurately describe the problem you are having and do nothing but insult and attack the people who are trying to help you, then there is no way that we can help.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, October 10, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Did anybody ever actually get this problem figured out.  I am now trying to install SP2, and getting the exact same problem.

The SP2 Kit (Windows6.0-KB948465X86.exe) says:

Windows has detected unsupported language files
    To continue, obtain a version of the service pack that supports the language files listed below.  Or, uninstall the language files listed below an then restart the installation

Thai (Thailand)
    Dutch (Netherlands)
    Korean (Korea)
    Hebrew (Isreal)
    Polish (Poland)
    Portugese (Brazil)
    Romanian (Romania)
    Finnish (Finland)

I'm currently running Vista SP1
    Default Language is English
    I have no need for ANY of these other languages
    I try to remove languages as recommended in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/970087 
    Start | Regional Language Options | Keyboards and Languages | Install/Uninstall Languages |Remove Languages
    I check Dutch, Finninsh, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portugese(Brazil), Romanian and Thai

The error is: All selected language files failed to be removed
    Then I click What can I do about language files that were not removed successfully?

I then get a help dialog that includes:
    I can't remove a language file
    Followed by:
    There are two reasons why this might occur:

• The language you are trying to remove is the system language.  The system language is the default language of the user interface. The system language cannot be removed.  <As described above, This is not the case>

• To work properly, other languages on your computer require the language you are trying to remove. This is the case with Language Pack Interface (LIP) languages and their parent languages. You must remove a LIP before or at the same time that you remove its parent languages. 
      <This is specifically what I am trying to accomplish...>

I can provide screen shots, or more information as needed.  ..and I promise to be nice :)

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Bump. I have the same issue as Bummer24. I did uninstall Dutch and Danish, but cannot seem to uninstall any other language.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:18 PM