ADFS 2.0 and active directory 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I did some research online and looked at technet blogs/articles and couldn't find a direct answer. We current have ADFS 2.0 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and we have an active directory environment running on Windows Server 2008 with functional level 2008.

We are planning and upgrade of our Active Directory and will replace our 2008 domain controllers with 2012 R2 controllers and then raise the AD DS functional level to 2012 R2. Will our current ADFS 2.0 still be able to function with the upgraded 2012 R2 AD DS?

Monday, February 29, 2016 3:41 PM

Answers

• I am afraid we don't have an online documentation phrasing it this way. The thing is that ADFS 2.0 is Windows Server 2008/R2. So AD DS at that time was only Windows Server 2008/R2 as well...

What we do have is a documentation for ADFS on Windows Server 2012 R2 (aka ADFS 3.0) stating that even Windows Server 2003 domain controllers are good.

I would upgrade the ADFS 2.0 to Windows Server 2012 R2 to catch up with all the new fancy features, but technically, ADFS 2.0 can use Windows Server 2012 R2 domain controllers. Keep in mind that ADFS is a role of the server, part of the OS, as long as the OS gets along with AD, it's fine for its installed roles.

Hope that helps :/

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:31 PM

All replies

• Yes.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, February 29, 2016 7:07 PM
  • Any links/articles or other such info to support the reasoning behind the answer. Excuse my ignorance in how ADFS works with Active Directory.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 7:28 PM
  • I am afraid we don't have an online documentation phrasing it this way. The thing is that ADFS 2.0 is Windows Server 2008/R2. So AD DS at that time was only Windows Server 2008/R2 as well...

What we do have is a documentation for ADFS on Windows Server 2012 R2 (aka ADFS 3.0) stating that even Windows Server 2003 domain controllers are good.

I would upgrade the ADFS 2.0 to Windows Server 2012 R2 to catch up with all the new fancy features, but technically, ADFS 2.0 can use Windows Server 2012 R2 domain controllers. Keep in mind that ADFS is a role of the server, part of the OS, as long as the OS gets along with AD, it's fine for its installed roles.

Hope that helps :/

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:31 PM